8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2015 2:46 PM by Adam Hoffman

Material driven Cut List Properties

Shaun Jalbert

I have a script that goes through a bunch of routines, but the one of interest looks at any extruded plates and recognizes if the material assigned has "GRTG" in the name implying grating and if it does, then it pulls the material name (string) apart to populate the Cut List Properties. This function works really well.

So we identified that we need another function to identify if the material has "EXP METAL" in the name implying expanded metal. If it does, then we want the Cut List Properties populated a certain way.

The material is as follows:

5.00#/SQ FT (CS) EXP METAL

where:

StockSize_Short = 5.00#/SQ FT

Grade = CS

Type = EXP METAL

From this string, the following Cut List Properties would populate:

StockSize = StockSize_Short x SW-3D-Bounding Box Width x SW-3D-Bounding Box Length x Type

Description = Expanded Metal

For reference, my plates, I've been using this string to populate the Stock Size and I want to use this method to populate both the SW-3D-Bounding Box Width & Length (noted above) the same way.

bRet = f.CustomPropertyManager.Add(propname4, proptype, Chr$(34) + "PL" + "SW-3D-Bounding Box Thickness@@@" + f.Name + "@" + doc.GetTitle + ".SLDPRT" + Chr(34) + "x" + Chr(34) + "SW-3D-Bounding Box Width@@@" + f.Name + "@" + doc.GetTitle + ".SLDPRT" + Chr(34))

Here's the Grating Code for Reference:

Dim sMaterial As String
                   sMaterial = GetFeatureCustomProp("Material", f)
                   If Not sMaterial = "" Then
                   Dim iP As Integer
                   iP = InStr(1, sMaterial, "GRTG")
                      'If the material is grating then let's change the values
                      If iP > 0 Then
                      ChangeCustomPropForGrating sMaterial, f
                      End If 'End of material being grating if
                   End If 'End of material being blank if

Sub ChangeCustomPropForGrating(ByVal TheMaterial As String, ByVal TheFeature As SldWorks.Feature)

Dim bRet                As Boolean

Dim iGrtg               As Integer

Dim iSpace              As Integer

Dim sGrade              As String

Dim sStockSize          As String

Dim sStockSize_Short    As String

Dim sType               As String

sType = "GRTG"

iGrtg = InStrRev(TheMaterial, sType)

If iGrtg > 0 Then

iSpace = InStr(1, TheMaterial, " ")

sGrade = Left(TheMaterial, iSpace - 1)

sStockSize = sGrade + " " + Trim(Mid(TheMaterial, iSpace, iGrtg - iSpace))

sStockSize_Short = sGrade + " " + Trim(Mid(TheMaterial, iSpace, iGrtg - iSpace))

bRet = TheFeature.CustomPropertyManager.Set2(propname5, sGrade)

bRet = TheFeature.CustomPropertyManager.Set2(propname4, sStockSize)

bRet = TheFeature.CustomPropertyManager.Set2(propname11, sStockSize_Short)

bRet = TheFeature.CustomPropertyManager.Set2(propname3, sType)

bRet = TheFeature.CustomPropertyManager.Set2(propname2, "BAR GRATING")

End If

End Sub

How can I manipulate this to work as intended. I tried copying and pasting this and modifying, but I can't figure it out.

(Full macro is attached)

Thanks,

Shaun

• Re: Material driven Cut List Properties
          Adam Hoffman

Shaun,

Try looking through this macro as an example on how to do string manipulation in VB6.

You may also want to reference this webpage whenever you need to process strings in VB6.

I still do! Visual Basic 6 String Functions | Visual Basic 6 (VB6)

Using these functions you should be able to add to your existing code accomplishing what you need.

Hope this helps!

Shaun Jalbert

Hi Adam:

I actually referenced this link, maybe you sent it to me before, but I couldn't extract the information that I was after, it just kept the full string and not the portion that I required. I tried a few times and no success. I just couldn't figure it out and was spending too much time on it.

I'll try it again, when I have some downtime and see how it goes.

Shaun

Shaun Jalbert

Hey Adam:

I took another shot at it and no success.

I think the area that I'm have difficulty with is this portion below.

I applied a material to a cut list body called:

5.00#/SQ FT (CS) EXP METAL

After running the macro, I checked the custom properties and it seems like the function that checks if it's expanded metal or not isn't working because nothing changes.

Here's a screen shot of what I see and what I actually want edited beside the values.Screenshot_1.jpg

And here's the code modification - basically a copy and paste of the grating code you provided me last week - but something is clearly wrong with the modifications that I attempted. What am I doing wrong?

'Let's see if the material is expanded metal
                             Dim sExpMetalMaterial As String
                             sExpMetalMaterial = GetFeatureCustomProp("Material", f)
                             If Not sExpMetalMaterial = "" Then
                             Dim iPExpMetal As Integer
                             iP = InStr(1, sExpMetalMaterial, "EXP METAL")
                                 'If the material is expanded metal then let's change the values
                                 If iPExpMetal > 0 Then
                                 ChangeCustomPropForExpMet sExpMetalMaterial, f
                                 End If 'End of material being expanded metal if

Sub ChangeCustomPropForExpMet(ByVal TheMaterial As String, ByVal TheFeature As SldWorks.Feature)

Dim iExpMetal          As Integer

Dim sType              As String

sType = "EXP METAL"

iExpMetal = InStrRev(TheMaterial, sType)

If iExpMetal > 0 Then

iSpace = InStr(1, TheMaterial, " ")

sGrade = Trim(Mid(TheMaterial, "(", iExpMetal - ")"))

sStockSize_Short = Left(TheMaterial, "(" - 1) + " " + Left(TheMaterial, iSpace - 1)

sStockSize = sStockSize_Short + f.CustomPropertyManager.Add(propname4, proptype, "x" + Chr$(34) + "SW-3D-Bounding Box Width@@@" + f.Name + "@" + doc.GetTitle + ".SLDPRT" + Chr(34)) + " " + sType

bRet = TheFeature.CustomPropertyManager.Set2(propname5, sGrade)

bRet = TheFeature.CustomPropertyManager.Set2(propname4, sStockSize)

bRet = TheFeature.CustomPropertyManager.Set2(propname11, sStockSize_Short)

bRet = TheFeature.CustomPropertyManager.Set2(propname3, sType)

bRet = TheFeature.CustomPropertyManager.Set2(propname2, "BAR GRATING")

End If

End Sub

Tapani Sjoman

Hello Shaun, you should at least change "ByVal" to "ByRef" before each item you want to make any affect in your sub.

Shaun Jalbert

Well, I played with this some more and have it 95% working.
                        I can't get my stock size to populate, but if I comment out the following line, all seems to work just fine.

bRet = TheExpMetFeature.CustomPropertyManager.Set2(propname4, proptype, Chr$(34) + sStockSize_Short + "x" + Chr$(34) + "SW-3D-Bounding Box Width@@@" + f.Name + "@" + doc.GetTitle + ".SLDPRT" + Chr(34)) + " " + sType + Chr$(34)

The Value should populate as:

"5.00#/SQ FT x "SW-3D-Bounding Box Width@@@MK-731064-07@test.SLDPRT" EXP METAL"

it should evaluate to:

5.00#/SQ FT x 8'-4 3/16" EXP METAL

Below is the main parts of the code:

Can you see what's wrong with it?

'Let's see if the material is expanded metal
                                   Dim sExpMetalMaterial As String
                                   sExpMetalMaterial = GetFeatureCustomProp("Material", f)
                                   If Not sExpMetalMaterial = "" Then
                                   Dim iPExpMetal As Integer
                                   iPExpMetal = InStr(1, sExpMetalMaterial, "EXP METAL")
                                       'If the material is expanded metal then let's change the values
                                       If iPExpMetal > 0 Then
                                       ChangeCustomPropForExpMet sExpMetalMaterial, f
                                       End If 'End of material being expanded metal if

Sub ChangeCustomPropForExpMet(ByVal TheExpMetMaterial As String, ByVal TheExpMetFeature As SldWorks.Feature)

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Dim iExpMetal          As Integer

Dim sType              As String

Dim doc As SldWorks.ModelDoc2: Set doc = swApp.ActiveDoc

Dim f As IFeature: Set f = doc.FirstFeature

sType = "EXP METAL"

iExpMetal = InStrRev(TheExpMetMaterial, sType)

If iExpMetal > 0 Then

sStockSize_Short = Left(TheExpMetMaterial, iExpMetal - 2)

sGrade = Mid(TheExpMetMaterial, iExpMetal + Len(sType) + 2, 2)

bRet = TheExpMetFeature.CustomPropertyManager.Set2(propname5, sGrade)

bRet = TheExpMetFeature.CustomPropertyManager.Set2(propname4, proptype, Chr$(34) + sStockSize_Short + "x" + Chr$(34) + "SW-3D-Bounding Box Width@@@" + f.Name + "@" + doc.GetTitle + ".SLDPRT" + Chr(34)) + " " + sType + Chr$(34)

bRet = TheExpMetFeature.CustomPropertyManager.Set2(propname11, sStockSize_Short)

bRet = TheExpMetFeature.CustomPropertyManager.Set2(propname3, sType)

bRet = TheExpMetFeature.CustomPropertyManager.Set2(propname2, "EXPANDED METAL")

End If

End Sub

Shaun Jalbert

I figured it out... Combination of things... but this fixed it.

bRet = TheExpMetFeature.CustomPropertyManager.Delete(propname4)

bRet = TheExpMetFeature.CustomPropertyManager.Add(propname4, proptype, Chr$(34) + sStockSize_Short + "x" + Chr$(34) + "SW-3D-Bounding Box Width@@@" + f.Name + "@" + doc.GetTitle + ".SLDPRT" + Chr(34) + " " + sType + Chr$(34))

Shaun Jalbert

By the way, thanks Adam Hoffman. I couldn't of done this without your example.

Cheers,

Shaun