3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2007 12:55 PM by Chris Weiland

Smoothing imported solid

Chris Weiland
      I am a new user and I am trying to smooth some surfaces from animported (.igs) 3dsMax file. The file imports fine, but looses itssmoothing over certain areas.

My question is, is it possible to smooth pre-existing selectedsurfaces inside SolidWorks alone or do I need additonal softwarelike ScanTo3D?

I do not have ScanTo3D, so I am looking for solutions that workinside solidworks specifically.

Due to confidentiality restrictions, I am not able to post thefile.

Thank you for any help in advance
        • Smoothing imported solid
          Kevin Quigley
          Are you talking about OpenGL smoothing or physical geometrysmoothing?
            Charles Culp
            It depends on how much time you have to put into it.  When Iimport surfaces from 3D scanners, I often just end up recreatingthe surfaces.  The "boundary surface" tool workswell for that, although I have not had enough time to learn how touse it properly.  I have always used the loft tool, andsurface fills.

Solidworks is not able to really "edit" pre-existingsurfaces to smooth their edges.  If it is only a few places,you can delete those surfaces ("delete face" if it is asolid), and then fill it with a surface fill and tangential facesoption turned on.  If you have to recreate the entire surface,I suggest using 3D sketches and the "convert entities"tool to pull lines and points off of the imported model.

Sorry it's not an easy solution.
                Chris Weiland
                First, thank you very much for your responses and questions.

Kevin, I am trying to change the physical geometry. We are tryingto
                convert a pre-existing model and make it a solid body/assembly withmaterial
                properties from solidworks. The model is an airplane we are tryingto build
                a simulation to test aerodynamancy, wind force, etc. We are prettymuch
                trying to avoid completely rebuilding the model in solidworks. Butthat's
                what interns are for, am I right?

Charles, thank you very much for your input. It does seem as thoughit
                is going to require a lot more work than we anticipated. I am goingto
                give some of your tips a try, and see if doing that is going tobe
                viable in our timeframe.

Thank you both again! I'll let you know if I discover any neattricks.