4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2015 11:29 PM by Josh Brady

Part quantities from assembly

Alex Spurgeon

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a way to pull part quantities from an assembly into a drawing. We have had some "fat fingering" problems that have changed quantities from four to 54, costing us hundreds of dollars in unnecessary machining.

We're able to pull almost all the necessary data from the part file (part number, customer, material, etc.) but I'd like to be able to automatically pull a given part's quantity and add it to the drawing automatically.

Any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Alex

• Re: Part quantities from assembly
          Anna Wood

If you are building sldasm's and using them to generate your BOM there should be no fat finger problems because SolidWorks does the counts for you.

Explain in detail how you go about creating your drawings.

Post a small example drawing here that shows your problem.

Alex Spurgeon

Hi Anna,

Thanks for the response. The BOM does generate quantities correctly, but my engineers plug in the values manually for each individual part drawing. I want Solidworks to automatically populate the quantitiy of each part on the individual print in the same way that it populates the part number.

Is this possible?

Alex

Anna Wood

You want your part detail drawings to have an assembly quantity added.  Since a part does not know anything about the assembly this is difficult without some jumping through hoops as I recall.

There has been a number of threads on this subject through the years.  Not sure what to search on to see what the possible solutions are.

Josh Brady

Basically, we went through this question ourselves.  We used to put the qty on each drawing.  However, the conclusion we came to was that for us it's actually a bad idea to put the qty on the part print itself.  Some type of work order should dictate the quantity.  The drawing should only contain the information to create qty 1 of the part in question.  Otherwise, what happens when you need to make a spare part?  Or some person drops qty 1 on the floor and breaks it?  How do you keep Joe Machinist from making qty 4 (or however many is on the drawing)? 

All that advice aside, it's possible to write a macro that peruses the assembly file and updates a qty custom property in each part file. There are examples on the forum.