AnsweredAssumed Answered

Customer sent .sdlprt file and need to view parts list

Question asked by Gary Collins on Jun 24, 2015
Latest reply on Jun 24, 2015 by Tony Cantrell

Hello folks,

I don't work in this industry, but my brother runs a Fabrication Shop. One of his customers sent him a .sdlprt file and he asked if I knew what program opened these files.

After doing some google research I found Solidworks. So I directed him to download eDrawings for his 32 bit machine (Free CAD Tools).

He opened the file but this only gave him the ability to look at the product (feed chute). He wanted to view dimensions and a parts list.

So, with a little more research I found Solidworks Explorer (Free CAD Tools). But this only came in a 64-bit version which wouldn't work for him. So, seeing how I have a 64-bit machine I was able to install it and open the file. Solidworks Explorer gave me more options such as measuring, cross section views, etc.

But, I can't find anywhere to see a parts list. I see there is a references tab which I assume would have the list of all the parts.

Under that tab though it says the .sldasm file is not found. Does Solidworks Explorer not read this file? or did the customer forget to attach or include it?

Or do I need the full program to get access to this information?

My brother thinks this maybe a program they might need in the future, but they don't want to have to invest in the software and a new computer at this time just to view one file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I apologize if I may have posted this discussion in the wrong location.

Outcomes