5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2015 10:58 AM by Dennis Bacon

Sheet metal help

Tyler Bennett

I asked a previous question but incase it was a little confusing i'll try to change up the context.

Assume we have a 1x6" piece of sheet metal

I want to put in 90 degree bends that are 1" wide serpated by an inch of flat untouched sheet metal along this 6" member.

Resulting look:

90 degree bend for 1 inch, flat sheet metal section for 1 inch, another 90 degree bend for 1 inch, flat sheet metal section for 1 inch, repeating.

It's straight forward enough to bend the entire length of the piece using the sketched bend, but I have no idea how to bend those individual 1" width pieces seperated by an untouched piece of 1" sheet metal.

Hope this helps and any information would be greatly appreciated

Mechanical engineering student

• Re: Sheet metal help
          Charles Allie

Is this what you mean??

sheetmetalainchbend.png

The flat parts are 1 inch in length, and width of the piece is 1 inch. I don't understand what you want exactly, because you say 1x6", what does this mean? In this I made it 1 inch wide and 1/8" thick since you didn't specify any thickness, but your final length won't be 6 inches if what you mean by "1 inch bend" is what you see in the picture. If you want a final piece that is 6 inches long, you're going to need arc lengths of 1 inch and your bend radius is also going to depend on the thickness of the sheet.

If you do want arc length of 1 inch, your bend radius will be equal to ( 1 / (PI/2) )-(sheet metal thickness) = bend radius, which is an odd radius for bending, certainly if your staying in inch standards.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Typing off the cuff w/o testing, but try:

Draw and dim the outline (edge-on) you desire, create a thin extrude (material inward), then use Insert Bends to get the sheet metal.

Cheers,

Kevin

Dennis Bacon

Tyler,,, There are several ways you can do this. If I understand your question correctly this is what you would like to see.

In the base flange I started with a sketch then added the edge flange. Brought the sides of the edge flange sketches in .010.

Another way of doing this would be to add an edge flange the entire length then cut out spaces (to edge of the bend radius). Then add flat material in.

You may have figure this out by now.