5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2007 5:42 PM by Kevin Quigley

SHowing only the active sketch

Kevin Quigley
      Is there a way to show only the active sketch and hide everythingelse? In many cases after you define the relationships to existingedges etc I just need to hide everything BUT the sketch I'm workingon so I can focus on finalising a spline, say. Can this be done?
        • SHowing only the active sketch
          Charles Culp
          I suggest going to View>Sketches and turning off all sketches. The sketch currently open will always stay visible.

You can also press F2 to make it so you can only select certainpoints/lines/etc.  Or, I have even mapped a shortcut key toturn on and off automatic snapping/automatic constraints.  Ifind using all the above tools when I feel best suited works wellin the end.
              Kevin Quigley
              Yes you can do that Charles but its not quite what I was after.Ideally I want to be able to do one of two things:

1. Hide EVERYTHING else apart from the active sketch (eg all othersketches, surfaces, solids etc) so I can focus only on the activetask.

2. Turn off all live references to outside entities when in the (1)mode.

If anyone is familiar with VX they will know what I mean. It has a"show active sketch only" key that does exactly this.

Kevin,

I don't quite understand because I would have suggested the samething as Charles. If you are editing the current (active sketch)and go to View>Hide All Types or View>Sketches, this willhide everything but the current sketch (sketch spline in yourcase). Anything that is hidden will not be snapped or constrainedto if it is not in the view. If you are finding that you are notable move vector and magnitude handles and spline points withoutsnapping and constraints still occurring, you can always hold downthe <cntrl> key while moving to turn these features offtemporarily.

Charles Culp
                      I guess I didn't read your post well enough Kevin. You canaccomplish your #2 by doing one of the following:

1. It is controlled by the "Enable Snapping" checkbox. Itcan be found by opening the system options (Tools>Options...),then going to the System Options tab, and in the column on theleft, right under Sketch, is one called"Relations/Snaps". click on that, and the first checkboxitem on the right is "Enable snapping". This will turn onand off all snapping.

2. Unlike just about every other CAD software I've used, Solidworksdoes not have a short-cut key for this function. No problems,though, because you can customize all the short-cuts you want, toyour heart's content. Just right click on any toolbar, and click"Customize...". Then click on the "Keyboard"tab. About 3/4 of the way down (see attached file), is the entrytitled "Enable Snapping..." under the Sketch Settingsheader. This is where you can enable it. You can see I have mappedit to Ctrl Shift S.

Hope this works for you.