6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2015 4:33 PM by Zac Evans

Working on network drive

Loucas Forest

Hi all,

I am looking for a solution to one of my company's biggest problem, which is that we work on a network drive.

It causes all sort of issues (speed is the most important one).

I am looking for a software or an add-in to Solidworks that would allow me to check-in/check-out files from our server and work locally on them.

The software would also notify other users that try to modify the checked-out files (read-only warning).

I am aware that Solidworks EPDM does it all, we've had the rep coming over to show us the product.

We feel that we don't need all of the stuff that comes with it as our ERP software does a lot of it.

The main reason why EPDM is not an option is the price.

We have a team of 5 CAD Designers and over 20 CNC operators/Programmers that would also need an EPDM editor licence as they need to edit.

We feel that it is way overpriced for what we would do with it.

Thanks

Loucas

• Re: Working on network drive
          Derek Parks

Loucas,

You could just use Solidworks Workgroup PDM which you may already have, suite depending. Same basic idea as EPDM with less bells and whistles...and cost.

SOLIDWORKS Workgroup PDM | SOLIDWORKS

Cheers,

Derek

Loucas Forest

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your fast response,

The Solidworks' representative told me not to use Workgroup PDM as it was a product that is going to disappear and that it is laggy etc...

Do you have any positive opinions about this solution ?

Thanks

Jeff Mirisola

Your representative is misrepresenting PDM. Yes, it is eventually going to go away, but not immediately. Also, SolidWorks 2016 is going to include a version of ePDM lite with every seat, so you'll still have access to a free PDM add-in.

As an aside, I'd be on the phone to my reseller letting them know that you don't appreciate the misinformation and hard-sell. Hell, I'd see if there's another reseller in the area who might be a bit more honest.

Derek Parks

I am not sure about it going away but if that's what your VAR said I would go with that. As for performance we have never had a huge issue with it and we have a lot more than 5 employees using it. It does get laggy sometimes on very large files on check in and out but nothing too intrusive. Max maybe a minute or two to completely load but this is on a handful out of thousands of files. If you are one of those that if your assembly doesn't open in 2 seconds you may be frustrated with it but I am more on the 10 second patients level .

May ask your VAR whats replacing it. I would find it hard to believe if they plan on pushing all PDM users over to a paid version such as EPDM. If so that's going to cause issue for a lot of companies...Jeff seems to have answered this part and I would second finding another VAR. Not good business if they are intentionally deceiving to sell product

Derek

Zac Evans

To echo Jeff Mirisola we've had our VAR try to sell us on EPDM from our PDMWorks with 55 seats and over 720,000 files. But we don't have issues with it so we've never found a need to upgrade to a paid version. whenever we have issues we just reset the server and once it's back up all the problems have gone away, usually only happens ever 2-6 weeks. PDMWorks should be fine for what it sounds like you need it for.

Loucas Forest

Thanks all I will explore a bit more about the Workgroup PDM way.

Have a great day!

Loucas