26 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2015 4:31 AM by Vagulus Dagg

There is an apology due here!

Vagulus Dagg

To those people who have followed my plaintive pleas for assistance with bonding and meshing in simulation, and more especially to those gallant souls who have striven to provide assistance, there is a profound apology due.

I have consistently bewailed problems with bonding of members in a weldment.  In my current project, with all I have learnt about the subject over the past few weeks of reading, videos, and pleas to this forum, I still get problems when I am working with the Student Version of SWX 2014-2015.  Consider this:

2015-06-23_7-27-28-Two_Spare_Ends.png

Note the two Olive Drab balls in the lower right of the structure.  Note also that I have tried to cover for any joining disparity by selecting Less Than in Edit Joints.  Things in tests go haywire if these persist.  However, if I take the same file to School and run the SWX Education Version there is no problem.

150623-No_Spare_Ends.PNG

I just use a simple edit, and the tests run like clockwork.

It would seem that the Student Version is detuned to the point of being ineffective.  This sort of result (from the Student Version on my computer at home) left me with successive days of screaming frustration.  No doubt the people who tried to help me were puzzled as to why they had no problems while I did.

I am most regretful that this has happened.  I am sure that an apology is due.  I am equally sure that the apology is not due from me - rather that it is due to me, to the countless other students who are no doubt equally frustrated, and to the folk who give their time trying to help.

Sadly, I must add that I have no intention of holding my breath while I wait for that apology.

• Re: There is an apology due here!
          James Riddell

Welcome to the wonderful world of the software end-user!  Enjoy!

Deepak Gupta

I would disagree on some the points. There can be issues with any tool/software. And sometimes those are machine specific. I've also been into similar scenarios where something was broken on my machine but was working fine on a different machine.

My only concern is that there is not support offered to student/education version due to which they (student/educators) develop a thinking about the software incapable or broken.

Vagulus Dagg

I can't agree more.  You said:

My only concern is that there is not support offered to student/education version due to which they (student/educators) develop a thinking about the software incapable or broken.

How can Dassault expect beginners to learn to use their product if they provide them with an incomplete package?

Deepak Gupta

Vagulus Dagg wrote:

How can Dassault expect beginners to learn to use their product if they provide them with an incomplete package?

The Student/Education version are full software for a nominal cost unlike commercial version where there are standard, professional and premium version (and cost is really high w.r.t. Student/Education version). So in what terms you feel it is an incomplete package. Please don't feel bad and even I do not have bad feeling but may be your answers could help DS to fill the gaps (if any) in their Student/Education version.

Vagulus Dagg

I think this discussion (first post) shows that Student Version is not complete.  It must be if beginners are supposed to learn by using it.

I can assure you that a tradesman does not teach an apprentice how to use a lathe by giving the apprentice two pipe stands and a crankhandle.  The apprentice gets a lathe - full commercial machine.  Very expensive.

From my exoperience, the only difference between Autodesk Inventor professional and student versions is the licence.  Maybe Dassault should take the hint.