11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2015 4:03 AM by Mandar Parkhi

Moving files to EPDM

Wayne Easton

Hi there,

We are in the process of implementing EPDM. One of the big challenges which I know has been discussed on this forum is the issue of moving legacy data into EPDM. I have a theory which I want to pass by all you pros to determine whether I would just be wasting my time.

From what I understand, if an assembly is opened and the file references are "broken" Solidworks first searches for the "missing" files in the same folder which the assembly is stored.

If this is indeed the case. My thought is why not copy / move all the assemblies, parts, drawings, etc from the existing folders on our old server into one "LEGACY" folder on the new server. Even though this will most likely result in broken files links, we should be able to easily fix them by simply opening and saving the assembly files as ALL cad data is in the same folder.

Once this has been done, we can then restructure the data into the folders we want for the new EPDM.

Could this work? Are there any other complications this will cause which I have not considered?

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Wayne

• Re: Moving files to EPDM
          R. Vignesh

Hello,

If you are trying to move files from old server to EPDM vault, the recommended way would be "pack & go".

All the references would be maintained & you will not need to re-construct the references.

While you do a copy paste operation there are chances you get your references lost.

Thanks & Regards,

R.Vignesh

Jeff Sweeney

Too right. If they are already broken, it is easier to fix them in EPDM than outside. Check out EPDM's "Update References" it can help you fix references without having to open the file in SW.

Brian McEwen

I think the method depends partly on the scale.  How many legacy files are we talking about?

The other thing is Update References does not work as easily after the first check-in, and you probably want to minimize the number of steps. 

Re: Enterprise PDM External References

So you would want to copy/move the files to the vault, run Update References on all the assemblies (this could take a long time).  And then check them in (also potentially many hours).  If you do it that way it could be one folder, or you can maintain your original folder structure, or whatever you want. Find Files tool (inside Update Ref) will find them anywhere in the vault (duplicate filenames would be a problem).

Charley Saint

Hey Wayne,

This is actually my preferred method for moving legacy files. I don't use pack and go because you usually end up with more duplicates than you can deal with. Copying entire folder structures in can work well, but it's a trial and error procedure. 

EPDM has it's own search routine it uses to find file references, you can familiarize yourself by watching Tor's presentation at SolidWorks World 2014 from here:

SOLIDWORKS World :: Presentation Archives

2015-06-22_1001.png

Brian McEwen

Charley, You mean you like to put all the files in a single folder?  Then do you use Update References?  Or?

Is that just trading one pain for another?  When moving folder structures what is the problem?  It is nice to have some folder grouping, and could be a big job to restructure e.g. 10,000 files... I guess now that they have Move Tree this is a better option?  You can select top level assemblies and move it and all references to a specific sub folder (... may want to exclude all fasteners, or shared components, then you have to select all those somehow).  

Charley Saint

Hey Brian,

If it's one big folder then you don't need to update references as long as the name hasn't changed, it should just find it as part of it's normal search routine. It's always a balancing act when moving files in, one big folder makes sense if you don't have too many files, folder structure makes sense if you do but you're probably going to end up fixing references on at least some files, pack and go makes sense if you have hardly any duplicates. Just pick the one that leaves you the least work at the end and go with it.

Wayne Easton

Thanks for all the information guys. I am not certain which route will be best for the data migration. The old folder structure is terrible so I was hoping that the option of merging all data into one folder would work for us as we could then sign in one assembly at a time from a "LEGACY" folder. Hopefully at sign in we could then specify where (ie. New folder structure - One project folder for all project specific CAD files relating to that project) we want the assembly and all its parts and drawings signed in.

I have been able to run one report on duplicate files which was quite a shock.....

The report lists 4959 duplicate files!!!

With this number of duplicates, the single folder approach may not be ideal as I would have to first resolve all the duplicates in the existing PDM system and hope that all the file relationships update properly (as this has been a problem in our current system) and only then merge all the files into one folder.

Corbin Noll

I am in the middle of an EPDM implementation also, and we just got our report back; 136,000 Solidworks files, or which, 67,000 are duplicates! And these are just the ones with the same file name. Our users, until the last six months, just put a descriptive name on the files, not the actual part number, so I'm guessing another 20% of those remaining are actually duplicates. We've decided to almost start over and build our common parts library, then rebuild the assemblies from there. We're looking at about 2 years worth of work though...

Mandar Parkhi

You can checkin few folders at a time and after checkin, if you rename the duplicate parts, the references are updated automatically.

Mandar Parkhi

hi Corbin, building standard libraries is a good step. but 2 years is too much time