7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2015 8:43 AM by John Stoltzfus

Linking the "scale" in the Title block

Frank Phelps

Hello all.  I would like the scale in the title block linked to what I choose the model scale to be.  The solidworks default as I understand it is that when it auto populates the link.  It populates it with what solidworks thinks is the correct scale.  I want it linked to what I choose.  Any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

• Re: Linking the "scale" in the Title block
          John Stoltzfus

You should be able to use this;

Ingvar Magnusson

I always have my main views in sheet scale. i.e. the first view, other linked. Change the sheet scale by rmc on the sheet tabs in the bottom left to change the sheet scale to whatever is suitable and populate the sheet scale in the title block, like John is showing except I use "SW-Sheet Scale".

To take further why. I use a macro to populate dxf's and pdf's of all the drawings and it is set up to use the sheet scale because there can be only one sheet scale and all my dxf files are always therefore scaled correctly.

Frank Phelps

John-  I have tried doing this, and it does work.  Once I bring in the model and change the scale to something else it does not update.  Any ideas?

Ingvar -  Thanks for the help.

Frank Phelps

I just recognized the problem, but still confused on how to fix it.  If it is the sheet scale yeah thats great it works.  But I want it to replicate the "custom sheet scale"

Glenn Schroeder

Frank Phelps wrote:

John-  I have tried doing this, and it does work.  Once I bring in the model and change the scale to something else it does not update.  Any ideas?

Ingvar -  Thanks for the help.

I agree with Ingvar.  I'd suggest leaving the title block note reflecting the sheet scale, and adjust the sheet scale to what you want instead of trying to link a title block note to the view scale.  Your statement above sounds like one of two things.  Either you aren't changing the sheet scale properly, or your title block note isn't correctly linked to the sheet scale.  If you're using the procedure Ingvar mentioned for changing the sheet scale (right-click on the sheet tab and choosing Properties from the drop-down, then changing it there), then I'd suggest right-clicking on the sheet tab again and choosing "Edit sheet format".  Now, in "edit sheet format", double-click on the note, highlight the scale text, and go to the Note's PropertyManager.  Click on the "Link to Property" button and choose "SW-Sheet Scale (Sheet Scale)" from the drop-down.  Now exit the edit sheet format by right-clicking on the tab again and choosing "Edit sheet" from the drop-down.

If this works, then be sure to save your sheet format, and update any drawing templates that use it.  #2 here: Frequently Asked Forum Questions may help also.

John Stoltzfus

Apparently I read your question wrong, I thought you wanted the individual views at different scales, which you can easily do by clicking on each view as selecting the scale size etc.

Otherwise Ingvar and Glenn have the correct method..