6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2015 9:30 PM by Mohamed Malek Jlili

(SOS) platform reaction under static load

Mohamed Malek Jlili

Hi,

I'm working to determinate the platform reaction under static load.

the platform is built with 2 layers, a steel checker plate and a plywood.

I want to know how model it on Solidworks simulation (finite element analysis) knowing that the plywood is orthotropic.

thx.

• Re: (SOS) platform reaction under static load
          Shivani Patel

To me this looks like a large assembly with very thin parts. This would make a solid mesh very big and potentially take a long time to solve. So firstly, I'd decide if cutting this down into a symmetrical version that I could do solid mesh with is an option. If not, I'd try making the steel plate and plywood into shell elements and turn the beams into beam elements.

You can definitely make orthotropic custom materials in Simulation.

Did that answer your question? I am not sure.

Mohamed Malek Jlili

The time isn't a big problem for me. However the problem is how simulates a plywood sheet with the exact mechanical property.

Another question for you plz, can you give me a tutorial for orthotropic custom materials simulation.

thx

Shivani Patel

First you have to find out the Elastic Modulus and Poisson's Ratio (at least) in all three directions. Tensile Strength and Compressive strength in various directions will be useful also.

Then, go to your Materials library and scroll down to your Custom Materials folder. If you do not have one you can always right click in the grey space and say "Add New Library." Then right click on the folder and say "Add new Category", then right click on that folder and choose "Add New Material". In this material there is a place to choose "Model Type" and you can switch this from Linear Elastic Isotropic to Linear Elastic Orthotropic. Fill in the data. Apply to your plywood.