3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2015 1:11 PM by Asdfa Afsdaff

organize files

Krol Julian

hi to all,

When we get a new task, we sign our drawings with A.

Then our documents are going through different stages up to last D.

Is there any smart, easy and not consuming time to change the mark on all drawings from A to D.

For example.

New task: draw a bush.

On stage A bush has got height 300mm. Drawings are marked with A.

On stage B no changes. So there is a need to change in all drw just a mark stage A to stage B.

Then change from B to C. At the end, from C to D.

If there is a one drw it is easy to change a revision mark in part settings.

While we got one hundred parts it is just pain in the … to change all description in all parts settings through all stages.

I was thinking about function “pack and go” to transport all files to new folder with new ending in a name of a part.

Cheers.

• Re: organize files
          Matt Peneguy

Sorry, but the best solution to this problem may not be that quick to setup...

Workgroup PDM and Enterprise PDM can take care of this tracking for you almost automatically.

The good news is that Workgroup PDM comes with Solidworks for free.  The bad news is that it really only works well for small groups...

Linking the text at whatever location you need to the custom property for the revision level could solve this problem for you.

I haven't watched these videos, I'm about to head out of the office, but I believe they may help you solve your problem:

Mapping PDM Variable to SolidWorks Custom Properties - YouTube

Revision Schemes in SolidWorks Workgroup PDM - YouTube

• Re: organize files
            Brian McEwen

It was not until you mentioned Pack and Go that I realized you are changing filenames, before that I thought you were just talking about a custom property.  """"change the mark on all drawings from A to D"""""  Are you talking about a Revision letter?

It is generally not a good practice to put a variable into your filenames, because changing filenames can break links (though not in the case of drawings).

Anyway, if you show a screenshot that may help - I don't fully understand your issue.