2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2015 6:36 AM by Pacofly Pc

How to draw intersecction points between spiral and lines

Pacofly Pc

I have a big problem here. I need to extrude a wafer with a LOT of holes. Those holes' patron are the interseccions between an spiral with various radius from the center of the spiral. I know how to draw the spiral (with my starting point, step, number of laps, etc) and obviously i know hoy to make the lines. Now i need 2 things that are imposible for me:

1.- Get the intersection points between spiral and radius/radiums

2.- Draw a circle in EVERY point generated in point 1.

The thing is that there would be about 10K circles. Its a rather though operation to do "manually" XD. If anyone can help me (doing it in other CAD program maybe) i would appreciate it a lot.

PD: Sorry for my english level, i'm not native.

• Re: How to draw intersecction points between spiral and lines
          Jamil Snead

There are a couple shortcuts you can take to generate the holes. If the pitch of the spiral is constant then the holes along a certain radius will be equally spaced. With this in mind you can create the first hole manually, then use a linear pattern to make the rest of the holes along that radius. Next make a spiral that goes almost one revolution, starting at your first hole and ending at the radius before the starting radius (if you have 10 radii then your spiral would go for .9 revolutions). Finally do a curve driven pattern, copying the starter hole and the linear pattern around the single spiral. This should give you what you are after. See my example file where it appears to work.

wafer1.PNG

• Re: How to draw intersecction points between spiral and lines
              Pacofly Pc

You are the boss. Yes, the pitch is constant, the objective with this wafer is to rotate at constant speed with a rotation stage, and at the same time, move at constant speed with a linear stage. I will try to do the whole thing (in my case there are 274 radius and 35 pitches, so around 10K holes in a 6" wafer XD) and i will tell you how its going.

Thank you very much, i really appreaciate you fast answer

Cheers