25 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2016 2:04 PM by Joseph Dunfee

Invalid student license

Elaine Lee

Hello everyone,

I am trying to download the latest SP3 and therefore I have to online register my 2015-2016 Student of SW2015. I enter my email address then the serial number and it returns with "invalid serial number" . I have verified the number multiple times to make sure I enter it correctly.

Does any one know of any solution to this problem?

Thank you.

• Re: Invalid student license
          Jeff Holliday

I would double-check wherever you obtained the student-license. Regardless of how careful you are, if the original info you were given is incorrect, you will have probems.

Elaine Lee

Hello Jeff,

thank you for your response.

The license number was printed on the original DVD cover and didn't have a problem with it when I installed the program. It connected online and activated the install.

Is only when I try to create an online account to be able to download SP3, it tells me the serial number is invalid.

Anna Wood

Educational seats are not entitled to SP upgrades.

Cheers,

Anna

Anthony Macke

Anna,

Is the sole purpose of this to prevent people from only purchasing an educational seat and using it commercially?

Just curious.

Elaine Lee

I have a very hard time believing that. Service packs are fixes in the operation of the program, not new features. Why would you sell a program without any possibility of future fixes even if it is for a student. When troubleshooting a problem every company always asks, "have you installed the latest SP?

The thing is when I installed the SW the activation of the serial number went ok, however when I try to create the online account to access the knowledge base or other resources, it tells me the serial number is invalid.

Does it mean that the SW student has no access to these resources? hard to believe.

Jeff Mirisola

Education seats are a year behind the commercial versions, so your version is actually 2014-2015. Any necessary SP's should have already been applied to your version prior to it being released.

Service packs are for the current commercial releases only.

Elaine Lee

Actually, my DVD cover and DVDs say Solidworks 2015-2016 Student Version not 2014-2015 and the SW comes with SP2.1

Nowhere in the information about the Student version do they mention that it comes with absolutely no support, not ever the SP releases.

I am fully aware that I cannot open anything I create in the student version in the pro version and that everything will have a watermark.

Anthony Macke

found this on the solidworks website, under the student edition details:

Capture.PNG

do service packs fall under "Subscription support service"?

Elaine Lee

If it does not, the they should make it a little more clear.

The only reason I was trying to install the latest SP is because after I install SW, restart the computer, start SW and try to "Create a new Document", SW immediately crashes. It doesn't even get to the screen where I can select if I want a New Part, Assembly or Drawing.

I thought maybe SP3 addresses that issue.

Jeff Mirisola

Is this a new install? Did you run SolidWorks Rx to see if you have any issues? Start->All Programs->SolidWorks->SolidWorks Tools->SolidWorks Rx

Elaine Lee

Yes, it is a new install. I have not tried the SW Rx. I have just heard about it today so I will give it  a try tonight.

I have even tried to release the license, uninstall, install again about 3 times. Every single time I try to create a new anything, it crashes.

I have even re installed windows 7, SP1 and all the new updates and video card drivers, then reinstalled SW, the problem is the same.

Jeff Mirisola

I'm thinking it's actually your computer that's giving you problems, Elaine. The OS can't be a home edition and the graphics card needs to be on the approved list: Graphics Card Drivers | SOLIDWORKS

There are those whose "unapproved" systems run SolidWorks with nary a problem, but those tend to be exceptions to the rule.

Elaine Lee

Hello Jeff,

I have even Started the SW Rx, in Safe mode. In both safe modes the SW closes as soon as I press the New Document. So it doesn't show me a Crash window with " SW has encountered a difficulty and needs to start", it just shuts down.Even if the video card is not supported, when I choose SW in Sofware OpenGL mode shouldn't it allow me to create a document? Isn't like the process of creating a new Part, Assembly or Drawing should use so many resources. After all, I have nothing added to the blank document.

The system is as follows:
                                                        processor i7 quad 2.8 GHz

24G ram

video card is an nVidia GTX 770 with 2G Ram.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Thank you.

Jeff Mirisola

Elaine,

Don't try to run SolidWorks when you open SolidWorks Rx. Just run the diagnostics and see what errors are returned. I do find it interesting that you can't open a document in OpenGL mode.

Out of curiosity, what anti-virus are you using? Have you tried installing SW with the AV turned off? While not as prevalent an issue as it once was, sometimes AV can interfere with an install. Sometimes.

Elaine Lee

Hello Jeff,

The diagnostics doesn't return any errors. The only thing it complains is that the System Vendor/configuration is not found in the database. Other than that all are green check-marks.

As far as the AV, I have not even installed one just to make sure I have no negative interaction.

What surprises me is that in either one of the Safe mode I get the same problem, which tells me that is not a video card nor a Tools/Option problem.

Last night while I was burning the midnight oil trying to find something that would shed some light on the problem, I made few steps in the right direction but the final outcome was the same.

I entered the Options dialog and I started to click around, only jumping through the Option pages, without making any new selection, the I clicked Ok.

This time around when I clicked on "New" button, it came up and asked me for default setting. I clicked Ok on those default settings and it popped up the screen where now I can select Part, Assembly or Drawing. Also it informs me that not all Default Templates were loaded. It turns out that it could not load the Drawing template and the Drawing button was grayed out.

Through some more research online I went and looked in the default folder for templates. There I could find the Part and Assembly default template but not for the Drawing. I found the default template for Drawing in a Tutorial folder and copied it over where the other 2 templates were, for the Part and Assembly.

I then restarted the SW, clicked on New and selected Drawing. This time the button was not grayed out anymore but once I pressed on it... boom, same type of crash as before.

So everything points to a problem with the default Drawing template, the way it is accessed or something else to do with it.

That's about as far as I got.

Do you have any suggestions, should I present my new findings in a new post?

Asking SW support is useless. None of the tickets I put in or emails sent to tech support were answered. I am starting to change my opinion of this company.

Thank you so much for your continued help.

Jeff Mirisola

Elaine,

Where your graphics card isn't supported, I suspect that may be a contributing factor. Some installs with unsupported cards work just fine. Others, not so much. You might try other drivers for the card and see if that changes anything. Or, you can get a supported card: Graphics Card Drivers | SOLIDWORKS 

You can get a decent card for about $150 on newegg.com.

As for you not receiving any answers to your emails/tickets, maybe Jim Wilkinson can poke someone.

Jim Wilkinson

I am working on making sure someone contacts Elaine.

A question on the "default settings" dialog that you say it popped up. Was it asking about units and drafting standard or something else?

Just for your information, the default templates are created by the software when you go to the File, New dialog. We do not ship default templates in the installation (other than the tutorial ones) because the templates need to be created using the proper language set at install and the units and drafting setting set by the user in that popup dialog.

I also suspect a problem with the unsupported graphics card, but due to the template creation issue, it could be an issue around permissions in the related folders or the registry.

Hopefully we will have someone in touch with you soon,

Thanks,

Jim

Anna Wood

Anthony Macke wrote:

found this on the solidworks website, under the student edition details:

Capture.PNG

do service packs fall under "Subscription support service"?

Yes, service packs fall under subscription support service.

Regards,

Anna

Jeff Mirisola

That I find surprising where they have even started the beta for 2016 yet. That being said, I suspect the software itself is 2015 SP2.1.

Elaine Lee

Hi jeff,

yes the software is 2015 SP2.1

Jim Wilkinson

The naming convention of student/educational version is related to the school year for which it is designed for (since school years go from fall to spring/summer). So, the version we just released is called 2015-2016 since its "life" is for the 2015-2016 school year. If we based the student/education versions on the release cycle of the commercial version, then there would be two different major versions of the software during the school year and there would be all sorts of compatibility issues between files, etc. We build/release the student/education editions in the spring using either SP2 or SP3 of the currently shipping commercial version so there is time for educators to prepare for the upcoming school year using the new version. Therefore, the 2015-2016 student version is based on the SOLIDWORKS 2015 commercial version.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Jim

Dave Bond

I Think the idea of precluding students from the updates is rather silly. Your preventing the younger generation from  using the best the software has and missing the opportunity for gaining some loyal followers who will go out into the world with Solidworks as their standard. The updates are to improve the function of the software rather than gain access to a new version. Students happen to be very good at finding faults with the software as they learn. Rather than shun them why not harness the fertile minds that have yet to be set in their ways.

Elaine Lee

Hello Dave, and thanks for sharing my point of view. To me Service Packs are always a series of fixes to their already released program not a collection of new features.

So are the students supposed to find their own work arounds for all the problems already addressed in the latest SP? I guess somebody thinks we already have more time in our hands to do that to.

As of right now I have spent more than 4 full days just to figure out why my install would not even create a new document. Immediately after I click "New document" it crashes.

I have even Started the SW Rx, in Safe mode. In both safe modes the SW closes as soon as I press the New Document. So it doesn't show me a Crash window with " SW has encountered a difficulty and needs to start", it just shuts down. I don't know what else to try and seeing how unwilling SW company is to help, I am starting to believe I have made a big mistake in choosing them.

As a student I have no rights to SP updates, I have no access to Knowledge base, I have basically no access to much of anything, the support tickets go unanswered, the emails to support go unanswered.

My only hope is to have a nice group of guys like yourself on the forum to point me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance,

Elaine

Elaine Lee

Looks like other people are having the same problem:

Why does Solidworks crash when I click the new file icon?

However there is still no solution.

Joseph Dunfee

I know this is an old thread.  I was directed here to answer some questions I had about the student edition. 

To speculate about some of the statements here, I can think of two reasons for not including support for the student version. One is that a novice is going to need A LOT more support than an experienced user.  The second is that they should be in a situation where they have people to for support at their school. 

That said, there should be support for the basic install and crashing when clicking to create a new file should be something that the dealer should solve.

I have also been critical for SW restricting service packs to subscription subscribers.  When a program is sold with certain features, and those features don't work, then they have an obligation to fix those broken parts of the program, even if the customer does not have a subscription.

-Joe