9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2015 11:19 PM by Alex Henry

How can I join several lines into one?

Vagulus Dagg

Here are three lines (for argument's sake):

2015-06-14_8-33-42-Three_Lines.png

There is probably a way to join them into one line (entity) staring me in the face but I just can't see it. 

Would some kind soul please open my eyes?

Thanks

• Re: How can I join several lines into one?
          Dennis Bacon

I'm not so sure it is staring you in the face. This has bugged me before. Sure seems like there should be a command to join like entities and get rid of the connecting endpoints but I can't find it. I did, however, play with this and found that by adding a co-linear relationship to multiple lines and a coradial relationship on arcs, I could delete the points. Not sure why this works and every thing else I tried didn't, but check out my pic. The purple lines are the original sketch and the lines above them are copied and a co-linear (or coradial) relationship added. Then deleted the points. The result is one line or arc.

Thanks Vagulus for making me think about this.

Erik Bilello

Vagulus,

If the line segments were created in one Insert Line operation, and are (or you want them to be) collinear, you can delete the points between the segments and they will automatically be joined into a single line.  If the lines are not already collinear you need to add the relation, then you can select and delete the points. 

collinear line segments.PNG

However, if you made one segment, closed the Insert Line tool and then came back and added another segment to it, even if you add the Collinear relation, you will get the "Sketch endpoints and center points cannot be deleted unless the endpoint is a split point of a curve." message when you try and delete the point.

Vagulus Dagg

This is the bugbear:

"However, if you made one segment, closed the Insert Line tool and then came back and added another segment to it, even if you add the Collinear relation, you will get the "Sketch endpoints and center points cannot be deleted unless the endpoint is a split point of a curve." message when you try and delete the point."

I guess this means there is no "Merge" command, which I guess was what I was asking in the first place.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Have you tried creating a "Merge Points" relation?

Also, what if you put a Split Entities split point at the nodes and deleted them?

Cheers,

Kevin