4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2015 5:10 PM by Frankel Agyei

Modeling a dynamic system in flow simulation

Frankel Agyei

I have only a small time to begin learning about flow simulation within Solidworks but I am hopeful for a possible solution. I am trying to model an internal plumbing system whose pressure is being mechanically driven by a pressure regulator (PRV). The PRV can be simplified down into a spring between two plates that is counteracting the pressures both upstream and downstream from it. If the downstream pressure changes, the spring will move to allow for the working fluid upstream to flow and try to raise the pressure. The displacement of the spring is dependent on the pressure acting on it which brings a dependency of the mechanical and fluid systems on each other.

From what I understand, the flow simulation needs to have a fixed geometry to work and as such I would be forced to place the PRV at a certain position, then allow the simulation to run, change the position of the PRV to its next orientation and allow the simulation run again. I assume that I would have to do this over the entire action time of the PRV in order to get the desired data that I want.

I am interested in observing the pressure over time created at the exit of the system due to the actions of the PRV.

My question is if it is possible to use any in-built tools within the Flow Simulation add-on that would automate this process for me.

I've trying looking for in-built solutions on my own but have only found that the Motion Studies accept data from flow simulation for analysis but cannot export to it. I also saw that in the regular simulation package that a non-linear option could be taken to implement loads at different times but I have not found an equivalent for flow simulation.

Any ideas would be welcomed.