1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 9, 2015 4:21 AM by Ian Worrall

Smart Fasteners: Linked to Thread, Clearance Hole or Both?

Wayman John

Hello,

We have never used Smart Fasteners, but I am wondering whether it could help avoid the odd problem.

Occasionally, one of my users will change the size of a threaded fastener - maybe from M6 to M8, for example, but will omit to modify the clearance holes in the part being bolted onto the assembly.

When things come to be assembled, the offending clearance holes have to be drilled out accordingly.

I have encouraged the use of clash detection before committing to having assemblies manufactured, but any clash that includes a fastener tends to be glossed over, because of the clash between major and minor diameters, so the clash between fastener and clearance hole is easily missed.

So, will Smart Fasteners help me avoid this problem? Is the selected fastener based on the thread size, the clearance hole size or both? If I omit to modify the clearance holes as described above, will SW warn me?

What strategies do other people adopt to avoid these problems, aside from peer review/checking?

SW2014, SP5