3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2015 12:02 PM by Rob Haman

Reference Plane Creation

Rob Haman

I am attempting to save a model that probably should have been created as a weldment, without having to start over. What I have in the attached image is a structural member (round tube) that was quickly created in a weldment to get the copes and then saved as a part. My hope is that I can then insert it into my assembly in the proper position.

I need to cut the sharp points off to represent how our fabricators will actually make the tube. Unfortunately, because this part was created at an angle to the weldment planes, it isn't aligned to the system coordinates of the part file. Simply put, I need a plane through the axis, and perpendicular to the two points so I can do an extruded cut.

Clearly I need to continue my self-training to become more comfortable with weldments and 3D sketching to avoid this in the future, but for now...Plane Creation.png

• Re: Reference Plane Creation
          Ingvar Magnusson

Can you be more specific?

You can also make a plane from 3D sketch. Just make e.g. 2 lines where you want the plane and make the plane from the lines.

Jamil Snead

You could make a plane from the temporary axis of the tube and one of the sharp points. No new sketches needed. This is assuming that the sharp points are centered on the tube.

If they are not then you could make a 3D sketch with one line connecting the two points, then a second line perpendicular to the first and parallel to the axis. Then make the plane with the two points and the end of your second line.

Rob Haman

Jamil,

I used the second option you gave and successfully created the two perpendicular planes that are aligned with the copes to trim the points off. FYI: the two sharp points should be centered on the tube, but when I tried to use them to make a plane I could only select one, the other didn't appear to have a snap point.