19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2015 11:42 AM by Justin Cole

ePDM files entering the wrong workflow and state

Justin Cole

I noticed last week when attempting to transition a .slddrw file to the next state in the workflow that the file had entered into a workflow intended for another type of file/document.  After investigating it appears that some new files created after a certain date (sldprt, slddrw, pdf, dxf, dwg) are entering into this workflow as well. The system history does not show any changes to either workflow (or any workflow) coinciding with this time frame.  The files do not meet the conditions of the workflow that they are entering into, the only condition for this workflow is a folder location and none of the files are in that folder (the files are in various other folders.)

Files created by another user are entering into the correct workflow and state.

Some serial numbers also seem to have (maybe) been skipped.  The serial number history also does not show any changes.

It seems like it could be an issue with my User settings or permissions, I haven't been able to figure out what though.

Knowing why this is happening would be interesting and probably helpful, but more important is to get the files into the correct workflow.

How can I move files from one workflow into another workflow?

• Re: ePDM files entering the wrong workflow and state
          Jeff Thomas

You need to create a Workflow Transition. It is the icon in the middle of the image below.

You then define the workflow you want to move the file to and the state in that workflow.    

Create a transition from the state the file currently reside in to the workflow transition.

Easy

Jim Sculley

Can you post an image of the workflow properties screen, showing your conditions?

Iftach Priel

Justin,

did you by any chance delete any old workflows recently, or changed its name?

When you take a look at all the entrance conditions of all your workflows, what's missing is hierarchy. What I mean by that is the order in which the system checks each workflow to see if a file fits in or not. I believe there is some kind of hierarchy because it's coherent, but as far as I know you can't change it. Ideally, a file should fit only one workflow, but this is not necessarily the case. When a file fits the conditions of more than one workflow, it finds it's way to one of them. Always the same one.

My hunch is that deleting an old workflow or changing a workflow name might somehow mingle with this mysterious hierarchy, hence causing files that used to go into one workflow to go into another.

Just as a general note, I never found workflow conditions to be very reliable or predictable exactly because of this reason. I use workflow conditions only for 2 workflows, and have all the rest set to path !=% . I sort the files out to all the different worflows using automatic transitions with conditions. I find it to be more reliable and easier to debug.

Justin Cole

Iftach-

The system history does not show any changes to any workflow coinciding with this time frame of the files being created or entered into the workflow.

The hierarchy concept is interesting.  I hadn't thought about it, but it makes sense.  And it's something to consider, thank you.

With the workflow path set to "!=%" it  seems like that would prevent anything from entering into that workflow.

If you have more than one workflow, each workflow having a different initial state, how does ePDM know which workflow to route the files into since the entry into the state has to happen before a file can be sorted in a transition?  Doesn't the workflow have to contain a condition in the properties to know which files are (or are not) allowed to enter?

Jim Sculley

Presumably Iftach is having all files routed into the two workflows without the "!=%" condition and is then routing them to the correct workflows with sorting transitions.  A workflow link allows you to put a file into a workflow without regard for the properties of the workflow.  You send it right to a particular state.

I do not think that there is any sort of hierarchy to where files go.  I haven't tested it but I suspect that a file that meets the conditions of more than one workflow will be put in the workflow that has the lowest ID in the database, which would be the workflow that was created earliest.

How many workflows  do you have?  Are you absolutely sure that they have mutually exclusive conditions?  I agree with Charley that a screenshot of the file history for one of the offending files would be helpful to eliminate some possible causes.

You could also export your entire vault setup as a .cex from the admin tool and upload it.  That would help everyone get a better feel for all the moving parts in your setup.

Jim S.

Iftach Priel

With the workflow path set to "!=%" it  seems like that would prevent anything from entering into that workflow.

Yes. When you set this condition, no file will be able to enter this workflow upon adding it to the vault. However, The condition on the workflow properties dialog do not affect files being sent from other workflows through "workflow link" as described by Jim Sculley.

Justin Cole

I have updated the Condition in the Workflow Properties so that it to apply to all files in the root directory, because the files that I need to move out of the workflow and into a different workflow are in various folders.

I created a Workflow Transition to route the files to the intended Workflow and State.

I set the Conditions in the Transition as so:

When I select the file and choose change state I gt this warning message:

I am obviously missing something.  And I'm stumped.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again to all of you for your assistance.