9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2015 1:59 PM by Sarah Dwight

Combine all parts in BOM

Scott Moore

Like items in a BOM are combined by expanding the BOM, right clicking on the part and selecting Combine Identical Components. combine.png

When I have a complete assembly drawing, and create an indented non-numbered BOM, I want to combine all like items in the entire BOM so I can export to an Excel file and send off to purchasing to order the parts and materials.

All that RMB action gets tedious... Is there a way to "Combine All"?

• Re: Combine all parts in BOM
          John Stoltzfus

Did you right click on the BOM and select Save As, you can save the BOM as an excel file...

Scott Moore

I want to combine ALL like items without having to RMB every part individually and selecting Combine Identical Components. What I THINK should be the way to "combine all" would be to select the column, then RMB and select Combine Identical Components. But alas, this functionality is not present.

I want to combine ALL like items before exporting to Excel.

Jamil Snead

If you are just trying to export parts for purchasing can you just use a parts only BOM? Or do you need subassemblies listed too?

Scott Moore

I am using an indented parts only BOM.

So say I have an assembly that has two subassemblies that each use two or more of the same weldments - The total length of the structural element is listed under the weldment, and each weldment is listed separately with each subassembly.

I have to RMB and select each different structural element separately and combine items. As I said, tedious with a large assembly with multiple subassemblies. Basically I want to send the TOTAL LENGTH of all structural elements and show the TOTAL QUANTITY to purchasing to order the materials without having to spend a lot of time massaging the Excel file.

Time is money...

Jamil Snead

I know you are using an indented BOM. I am asking if using a parts only BOM instead will give you what you want.

bom.PNG

Scott Moore

No, because a parts only BOM does not detail structural profiles from weldments. If I add a column with the property "Length", on the indented BOM I can combine the structural profiles to automatically sum the combined length. Then our purchasing person knows they have to order X number of feet of a particular steel shape, or whatever.

For example, assume I create a tie bar as a weldment using structural profiles, say a square tube and two end plates made of flat bar. I have 10 of these tie bars in a machine framework assembly. When I do the indented BOM I can combine like items to summarize the total length of tubing and flat bar. I can't do that in a parts only BOM. I'm looking for a shortcut so I don't have to click on each item and select Combine Like Items. I want to Combine ALL.