7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2015 12:35 PM by John Stoltzfus

unable to access model error

Brad Braune

I have an assembly model that contains a configuration. The configuration just suppresses all but a few parts of the model. I created a drawing for my assembly. On the drawing, one of my views is of the configuration mentioned above. When I try to save the drawing, I get the error message shown in the attachment. I click OK, and it pops up 2 more times. The drawing saves, but when I switch back to my model to save it, I get the same error message (only one time) and it won’t save. Once I open the drawing, I can’t save any changes to my model. So if I need to make changes to my model with the drawing open, I’m out of luck. I have to close everything and re-open the model only to make my changes, then open the drawing and update it. If I remove the drawing view with the configuration, everything saves without any issues. So it seems the drawing view of the configuration is the problem. Any ideas?

model access error.JPG

• Re: unable to access model error
          Babak Shei

Not sure if this is relevant, but I've had some configuration issues when doing a drawing and having part file open. Specifically its related to pulling up the flat pattern config of a sheetmetal part in the drawing, and then working on the part file at the same time, sometimes (but not always) when I go back to the drawing, I lose all the annotations, and the flat pattern shows it as not flat. Usually I restart solidworks, and work on the drawing on its own, close the drawing, work on the part file separate of each other.

John Stoltzfus

The thing that comes to my mind right off is the parts that you still have showing could have features that are in context with the suppressed components, which could make it impossible to have a clean rebuild, either that or a bad circular relation..

Brad Braune

The unsuppressed parts do have mates to the suppressed parts in the model. Could this generate the errors in the drawing? I wouldn't think the drawing would be looking to satisfy those mates. In the model, those parts just have their mates suppressed and are not longer constrained in the alternate configuration.

Glenn Schroeder

If you only need that configuration for the drawing view, then I'd suggest deleting it and creating a display state instead.  That should eliminate problems with mates, and will probably result in a smaller file size.

John Stoltzfus

I'm not talking about "Mates" - I'm talking about features that were developed in context of the suppressed features, therefore when the model tries to rebuild, it get's to a dead end in the rebuild process and has no way of knowing where to continue, just a guess on my part though.  I would need to see your assembly and modeling techniques etc.....

Brad Braune

John,

None of the parts and subassemblies used in the configuration are built in context to any of the suppressed parts. The only thing linking them to the suppressed parts are mates in the top assy model. I can double-check my model to verify this just to be sure. I model parts using master sketches in a top assy model. I use these to build all of my detail parts with exception to parts that we are not designing or building, like purchased parts. These purchased parts are the ones shown in my configuration, so they are built with their own sketches outside of the main assy model. I insert them into my assy, and mate them from there. If I mated them to the main assy using a sketch line inside the main assy model, could that possibly generate the errors? I wouldn't think that would be any different than mating them to a suppressed surface. As a side note, a co-worker is having the same issue in one of his drawings using configurations as well. Same 3 error messages in the drawing, and 1 in the model. He has a completey different model and drawing than I do.

John Stoltzfus

I also use a skeleton sketch in my assemblies and has definitely reduced the amount of errors, however with SW sometimes there are issues that pop up once in a while that takes some figuring out.

Difficult to fix issues like this, however there is a reason somewhere, are you able to eliminate possible scenarios? Usually where I start is suppress every item in the feature tree and then un-suppress each one.  I doubt that there is a mate to sketch issue, however I have seen some crazy stuff.