AnsweredAssumed Answered

Best way to design a configurable assembly?

Question asked by Casey Newport on May 28, 2015
Latest reply on Jun 22, 2015 by John Stoltzfus

Hello,

I am new to SolidWorks, been working with it for about 4 months now. I have been tasked to design an enclosure for our variable speed drive. The enclosure has many sheet metal parts, assemblies, and sub assemblies. I want to be able to change the basic dimensions for the entire enclosure and everything update automatically. I reverse engineered another enclosure we have on file and noticed they used a bunch of reference planes to draw all the base flanges on. Each base flange was drawn on a plane and then the dimensions were referenced to other planes. So, if you change the reference plane dimension the assembly will update, but not really.

The enclosure has a top and bottom cavity separated by a partition. The bottom, top of partition, and bottom of partition planes are all referenced to the top plane. I can change the bottom plane dimension which effectively changes the height, but the spacing of the partition, hinges, etc are not linked and I can only change one reference plane at a time. Is there a way to use global variables or equations to change everything at once? Sorry for the newb qauestion, any information would be of great help! Thanks in advance.

Outcomes