5 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2015 7:52 AM by John Stoltzfus

Sketch Orientation

Joji Johnson

Is it possible to orient the sketch while selecting the plane for sketch like selecting the plane on which the sketch has to be drawn and selecting a horizontal or vertical plane?

So that we can get the orientation as we want rather than the default orientation.

• Re: Sketch Orientation
          John Stoltzfus

Without a sample or pictures it's just a little difficult for me to understand your question, You can always add additional sketches and planes, also you can at anytime make any plane the front plane, or orient the plane you want by hitting the space bar and either choosing your own views or change the views.

Joji Johnson

Yes, you are correct, we can achieve the result by adding planes,

Below is the image,

My requirement is to orient the sketch by using plane 2 and 3 as vertical and horizontal respectively without the help of plane 4.

I wanted to make the sketch on Front plane with plane 2 and 3 as vertical and horizontal respectively.

but I could not make the orientation so I added plane 4.

By any chance is it possible to achieve the result without the help of plane 4?

Note:

The Front plane and Plane 4 are overlapping each other, Plane 2 and 3 are perpendicular to each other and also Plane 4 is perpendicular to plane 2 and 3.

John Stoltzfus

There are other ways to do it but what I usually do....

Select Plane 4 and select normal too and then hit the space bar which pulls up the dialog box below and then Select the "Update Standard Views" and then the Front Plane, now when you hit front in the Standard Views - Plane 4 will become the front plane orientation.

John Stoltzfus

You can choose any plane to be your front plane, here is what I would suggest, however I'm not going to be your expert on this, I would figure out which plane you want for your front plane and then put the others in a folder and hide them, rename Plane 4 to Front and add perpendicular planes for the top and right planes.  That is where I would start, but I know there are other guys that would probably do it differently.