3 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2015 11:39 AM by Tim Treybal

SW won't let me edit explode line sketch

Tim Treybal

Until today... I've never had trouble editing explode sketch lines.  Now when I try, the line reverts back and I get a message that says "This drag created invalid geometry.  The pre-drag state will be restored."  Also, I select a line end point and a part face and select "on plane" and nothing happens although the mate is there.

What is stopping my edits?

Thanks

Tim

• Re: SW won't let me edit explode line sketch
          Erik Bilello

Tim,

I occasionally see that kind of behavior in explode line sketches.  Unfortunately it is not possible to break them up into multiple small sketches (as far as I know anyway) so they can get pretty complex and have way more relations than I would want in a "normal" sketch.

WIthout looking at your sketch it's hard to guess what the exact problem is, but in my experience I would be making sure everything was backed up, and then plan on restarting SW, if it hasn't done it for you already (i.e. crashed). 

Jamil Snead

One thing I'd suggest is to show all relations and delete any that are green (broken). Also sometimes when creating an exploded line SW will put in a tiny jog that you don't even realize is there. If you drag the sketch to eliminate that jog then I believe you would get the error that you described. I would just right click on the problematic line and select chain, then delete it and create the line again.

Tim Treybal

That would be ideal if SW showed the problematic line causing the issue.  Viewing sketch relations showed no errors even though SW said there were. I searched through every sketch line and end point until I finally found an end point that was suppose to be concentric on a hex nut face and wasn't.  This little issue caused the whole explode sketch to be uneditable.  I was very upset.