7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2008 4:02 PM by Joy Garon

Notifications

Shawn Applegate
      We use notifications to let us know when a file changes from acertain state to another.
      We use a EC document as our top level document. The drawing file(s)are attached to this document
      When I get a notification email, it has as email for every filethat is attached to this EC
      and ever file attached to that drawing, and so on. We've gottenemails for one EC that had over
      800 email messages. Is there a way to limit the notifications to acertain file type, such as
      *.xls or *.doc. Or is there a way to make it only notify the toplevel document only?
        • Notifications
          Jason Stats
          I'm currently setting up our system, so I'm fairly new to PDMWorks Enterprise, but it seems like the simple solution would be to add an additional trasition in front of each of your states that you have notifications for (so you have two trasitions between the same two states). The new transition should be named exactly the same as the original, so that you don't see two options for changing the state. Then make your original transition (that has the notification assigned) to only allow your EC documents to pass through that transition. Then set your new transition to allow all the other documents, but not your EC documents to pass through and don't assign a notification to this transition. This way, only your EC files will trigger the notification and your other files will still go to the new state without a notification. This appears to work the same way as using a "sorting state" as it describes in the Administration Guide except this way uses less states and transitions to do the same thing as long as you name the two transitions the same. Also be sure that you remove notifications from the states the files are going to.
          • Notifications
            Shawn Applegate

Shawn Applegate wrote:

We use notifications to let us know when a file changes from a
            certain state to another.

We use a EC document as our top level document. The drawing file(s) are attached to this document.

When I get a notification email, it has as email for every file that is attached to this EC.

and ever file attached to that drawing, and so on. We've gotten emails for one EC that had over 800 email messages. Is there a way to limit the notifications to a
            certain file type, such as *.xls or *.doc. Or is there a way to make it only notify the top level document only?

Does PDMWE 2008 have this capability?

• Notifications
              Hi Joy,

Is that the only advantage of adding a (Send Mail) transition action and just RMB on the transition and adding a notification?

Wayne