13 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2015 10:36 AM by Aaron Godwin

Move Notes From Format to Sheet Level

Aaron Godwin

I'm about go through a big format updated and right now I have all the notes on the format level and want to move them to sheet level before, or as,  update. Does anybody have a good way to do that? I can do it the hard way but I'd like to see if any body have a macro or a trick.

Thanks in advance...

Aaron

• Re: Move Notes From Format to Sheet Level
          John Stoltzfus

Not sure if this is what you want, but.....

When you re-do your template you could try the attached macro to re-load the sheets, which should make the changes you need.  One thing that I learned the hard way is, don't save your template as a new name/file - as the macro is just doing a re-load and if the template is deleted and renamed then the macro won't work...

Mike Pogue

How many drawings are you talking about? I've done this very thing before. I did it as I was revising drawings, rather than in one move. I don't think it's a very good idea to swap out formats on drawings that aren't being revised. It takes about 15 seconds to swap out 2 sheet formats, and move the notes. And it's actually pretty rewarding to change crappy formats to good formats. Obviously, if you had to do 50 drawings at one time, this would be extremely tedious. But if you only update drawings as you touch them, it's no big deal.

Doesn't solve your problem, just a thought.

John Stoltzfus

My drawings have from about 10 pages to over a 100 pages and the template evolution has been tough only because of the way they were designed.  I have eliminated 99% of special typed notes on the drawing that are added on or behind the drawing views, all my notes are with the part file and placed at the same location or area in my drawings.  I have different templates for the assembly then I do for parts, which again makes it so much easier, for what I do, if I need to add a particular note on a drawing it's not a big deal because it might be one or two notes per 50 sheets.  So now when I open up an older project, yeah I have to go through at least 50 pages of Edit Sheet, Sheet Properties, Browse for new template (only because I was stupid enough to delete the old one), keep the notes and delete anything the came in double, exit edit sheet and go to the next tab, yeah 50 times............... (the bad part about this is I used SW since 1997, still learning)

I haven't understood or can't grasp all that is available in SW, particularly the Custom Property Tab Builder, Task Scheduler, Templates, BOM etc...

Mike Helsinger

Try John's idea first.  You could also select your border, title block and notes as a block (select your objects, right click, Make Block).  Then save your block if you need to move your selection to another drawing file.

Aaron Godwin

Mike,

That's kind of what I thought about doing, but I'm not really good at writing macros just yet. What I thought was with the drawing open switch to sheet format, block the notes, delete them, switch back to the sheet, bring in the block of notes and explode it. I'm just don't really know how to write that as a macro.

Mike Helsinger

Oh you can manipulate blocks without a macro.  And it sounds like you got the idea that I'm envisioning.  You can even piece together items from separate drawings.

1. Take a drawing sheet format, block it up as you described & save it.
                        2. Insert this block in another drawing with objects you want to capture, explode it & add the new desired objects to your selection, block & save again and so on..
                            Aaron Godwin

I see what you're saying and yea that's easy but I want the notes on a drawing to stay on that drawing, I don't want to move them to a new drawing.

And I don't want to do it ten times, I want to do it once. That's why I want to use a macro. I want to eliminate having to block the notes "by hand" and have it run as a line in a macro as I change the format. So move the notes from the format to the sheet and change the format. It also helps for the future when I have to change my format again I just change the format and don't worry about the notes.

Deepak Gupta

Are those notes same on all drawings?

Aaron Godwin

John,

That doesn't quite do what I want it to. It swaps out the template fine but what I need is the notes to move from the format to the sheet. So the macro would need to do what this one is doing but also move the notes up to the sheet level.

Daen Hendrickson

Copy and paste works. You can ctrl-select all your notes, copy them, edit your sheet format, paste. All the copied notes are pasted in their same relative position to each other. Just reselect them all and drag them to the right location while maintaining their relative spacing.

John Stoltzfus

Now I know what you want, however all your text in the drawing template are notes, so how would SW know which text to copy and which text to leave there. 

Do you have the text behind the drawing, like when you click edit sheet or are your notes in the front where you edit the views.

That's a tough one

Aaron Godwin

I see what you guys are saying, I can do it case by case but I'd rather do it automatically so I can avoid mistakes. And so I can pass it off to somebody else so they can do it.

Now can I tell a macro to window select the text? My notes are always in the same place, for the most part, depending on sheet size.