4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2015 9:54 AM by Mark Greenwell

Variable hole pitches

Mark Greenwell

Hi,

What would be the best solution for holes that have variable pitches.

For example if I have a hole that is required 20 times at a cross centre pitch of 200mm then that's ok as I can use the pattern function.

What happens if say holes 1 - 10 are at 200mm then then hole 11 is now 150mm from hole 10, then hole 12 is 250mm from hole 11.

I can't  use pattern as the holes pitches are different.

Do I have to do these in blocks so hole 1 - 10 are patterned. Then go into hole wizard and add a hole 150mm from the 10th hole.

Then pattern this at 250 to give me hole 11, and have to do this for every change in pitch.

We have a bit of software for our drilling machines that allow us to put variable pitches in in one go.

So the above would look like 20@200,150,250. So it would put 20 holes in at 200mm apart then for the next hole 150 from the last and then 250 from this.

Are variable hole pitches possible to add in one go?

I could use sketches and have the length of the sketch corresponded to the hole pitch and then put the holes at the end of each sketch.

However sometime we have hundred of holes with multiple pitches in an part.

Thanks

Mark (SolidWorks 2015 sp3)

• Re: Variable hole pitches
          Paul Marsman

Mark,

Have you looked at Pattern Tables?  I used it to make the image below (part attached also).  It definitely isn't as easy as your input of 20@200,150,250 but it does give you the ability to make the holes in one feature.

pattern table image.png

Mark Greenwell

Hi Paul,

I will have a look at using variable patterns but as you rightly pointed out for a large number of various pitched holes this could get very messy.

I was hoping that someone had figured out an easier way. Macro possibly?

I can't be the only one who holes alter pitch as they go along.

I will give you the correct answer tick, as I am doubtful that there is another way other than using this variable pattern table

Thanks

Mark

Paul Marsman

Make sure you read over the help: as you can use the Excel style fill down to populate values in mass: 2015 SOLIDWORKS Help - Pattern Tables

As Anna pointed out to you way back when, you should have gotten a macro made by now : Re: holes with variable pitches on x- axis

You could also look into Table Pattern (not the Variable Table Pattern above).  This allows you to pull in an excel file with the coordinates.  Same idea, just a different flavor.

Third, I was even thinking maybe you could do a single pattern that uses equations to place your first holes in each series, then use linear pattern with references to fill the gaps, you would have to have a different pattern for each one I think but maybe would be cleaner?  Not sure how often you just do single holes at some specified distance from the previous or other variations.

Mark Greenwell

Hi Paul,

Yes had a mess around with the pattern table and still think it could get very messy.

As for getting a macro, who off? I don't know anything about creating them.

It's 5 years since I raised this and still no easy solution.

As I said the software for drilling we use is Windows based, however even when it was DOS we could still enter a string of values and have it show hole positions.

I will look at using table pattern if this can be populated through Excel.

Thanks

Mark