15 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2015 5:56 PM by Jason Capriotti

SQL Server 2014

Jason Capriotti

We currently have SQL Server 2008 r2. We are going to ePDM 2015 sp3 soon. Is it worth upgrading SQL server 2008 r2 to 2014 ? I thought I read something about SQL licensing changes but wasn't sure if that affects ePDM in anyway.

Current:

Windows Server 2008 r2

SQL Server 2008 r2

ePDM 2014 sp2

• Re: SQL Server 2014
          Charley Saint

Hey Jason,

As I understand it, if you have one of the 25 seat PSL licenses for EPDM then the licensing change affects you, otherwise it doesn't. Also content indexing doesn't work in SQL 2014 so if you use that don't upgrade. Otherwise, I'd say go ahead and upgrade, I doubt they will stop supporting 2008R2 any time soon but they'll probably support 2014 for the better part of a decade.

Larry Heir

Jason,

Where did you hear about indexing not working on SQL 2014? I have searched extensively and not come up with any further information. Source please? Thank you!

Jason Capriotti

We have a 100 PSL....is that affected? How is the 25 seat psl affected?

Charley Saint

Hey Jason,

Number of seats don't matter, it's the number of PSL's you have. You get 4 cores per PSL purchased, regardless of if it's a 100 seats or 25 seats.

Jim Sculley

As far as I can tell there isn't anything different with the SQL Server licensing (PSL or otherwise).  A quick look through the EPDM 2015 Installation Guide doesn't say anything other than the fact that you aren't restricted to using the SQL Server 2014 media that is included with EPDM 2015.  If you already have SQL Server installed somewhere doing other things, you can now install EPDM there as well and SolidWorks will still support it.

Jim S.

Charley Saint

Hey Jim,

PSL stuff isn't usually documented in the install documents because it's pretty different than what the majority of users need to know. I can't find anything right now that's visible under the customer center to direct you to, but I assure you it's changed for PSL customers.

Jim Sculley

We have a 25 seat PSL.  I upgraded SQL Server from 2008R2 to 2014 and upgraded EPDM from 2013 to 2015.  If something changed, I was not notified.

Jim S.

Charley Saint

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, if you've got SQL installed on a server with more than 4 cores then you're out of compliance. It's not going to warn you or fail to install, but if your company has a software audit by Micro$oft then you'll get hit with major fines. You should also request the EPDM 2015 License Management and SQL Server FAQ

Jim Sculley

Charley Saint wrote:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, if you've got SQL installed on a server with more than 4 cores then you're out of compliance.

One processor, four cores.  No problem here.

However, since I have not, ever, been provided by SolidWorks with any information on the matter; if we ever did fail an audit, SW would likely find themselves on the wrong end of a lawsuit.  I can't be expected to comply with 'rules' that have not been stated to me.

Microsoft is quite clear about the rules regarding SQL Server 2014.  You have to have a license for *every* core on your server.  SolidWorks is clear as mud.  No mention of how many cores they 'support', anywhere in the installation media, the installation guide, the admin guide, the portal, the forums, the hardware/software requirements, etc...  The only apparent location of the information is in some document not visible to the people who actually need to know it.

The way this should work is upon installation, SW detects how many cores are present and cuts a check to Microsoft for the required number of licenses.  If they are going to provide SQL Server with the EPDM software, they should be assuring that the end users aren't running the risk of legal action.

Jim S.

Jason Capriotti

I have an 8 core processor with hyper threading showing 16 cores. I'm running SQL Server 2008 R2. So am I out of compliance? Or is this a SQL 2014 thing?

Charley Saint

Hey Jason,

Have your VAR send you the EPDM 2015 License Management and SQL Server FAQs from the VRC. It doesn't look like it's confidential but SW hasn't put it up on the customer center yet so only VAR's can get to it.