2 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2015 3:08 AM by Philip Lane

Simulation failed - error given against Direct sparse, but....

Philip Lane

.....direct Sparse was not selected.

Am trying to close down an old internal issue, and am not sure what to do with it. Not VAR'able.

User ran a simulation having selected FFEPlus, but when it failed, it returned a message 'Too big for Direct Sparse solver, use Iterative instead. User posted a screenshot of his selected options, but not of the error message itself......hmmm.

Am probably peeing in the proverbial wind, but just in case anyone else has seen this...

Was on a DELL T3500, all drivers up to date at the time, I believe.

Thank you.

• Re: Simulation failed - error given against Direct sparse, but....
          Jared Conway

why not VAR able?

i have seen this issue and it is in the swx kb, i think it happens when you have less than 16GB of ram if i remember correctly. was fixed in a service pack.

but i'd question the setup of this analysis with soft spring enabled

• Re: Simulation failed - error given against Direct sparse, but....
              Philip Lane

Hi Jared, and thank you for your reply.

I say 'not VAR'able' as the issue was logged Feb 2014 with no RX data provided (some users expect magic from support and VAR's), and I'm trying to clear a back-log of old issues before I started here.

The machine would have been a DELL T3500 with 12GB RAM (creaking then), and he would have been using SW2013-SP3. Would you happen to know when this would have been corrected? Was 16GB even a recommended amount over a year ago? We're going 32GB on my spec'd next gen' workstations.

I'm not a sim expert, so the vagueries of having 'Use soft spring...' checked escape me. What would be the effects/consequences of having that checked, or not?

Thank you.

Phil Lane.