10 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2015 7:49 AM by Robert Eppig

Sketch Issues

Robert Eppig

I am creating a sketch of our company logo to use along with our CNC machine to engrave a sheet metal sign to attach to machine we build.

I am creating the logo within a .5 X .5 area.  I want to save the sketch for use.  I want to be able to scale the sketch for different panel sizes.

Can I create a block of the sketch to insert in other drawings? or Just copy the saved sketch and paste into a new part drawing and locate and scale as needed?   What is the best way to do this in SolidWorks 2015.

Additional - I created the logo and tried the copy paste option and a 1 line and 2 arcs lost their relations and messed up the logo.  Also the company name (text) did not come over to the new part drawing with the sketch.  Can anyone tell me what's going on with that?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Re: Sketch Issues
          Nathan Rollins

Hi Robert - I would definitely work to create a robust block that can be reused and scaled easily.  There are some nuances that blocks require you to understand...  I am still learning them.  I find that getting a block to be fully defined is more difficult than a regular sketch for some reason.  I know it is simply a lack of knowledge on my part - but I have used blocks successfully and have a few saved in my Symbols folder that I use occasionally.

What I would try to do in your case is create construction geometry that defines the bounding box and aspect ratio of your logo - all of the logo geometry would be referencing that construction geometry.  Ideally, you would be able to place the block on a sketch, relate it / dimension it to some geometry and then drive its scale with your one scale dimension.  I think there is a scale option you can enter when inserting a block, but it is I think a percentage scale - and does not give you easy or direct control over the actual size of your block.  Also, make sure you place your insertion point on the block where it makes sense before you save it.

-Nate

Robert Eppig

Thank you for your response,  I just did it and it works great.  Thanks again.

Robert Eppig

I have it working.  The logo is fully defined and the block work great.  However, when I went back to add some text (sketch text) the text moves from where I placed it when I make the block.  It is attached to a construction line.  The one thing I noticed is the text does not appear to be fully defined although I can't move it from the line and the height, justification, etc is defined.  Do you have any ideas?   Thank in advance.

Bernie Daraz

I do this all the time with blocks, just one recently involving a customers logo. While I agree with Nathan's comments for a logo it wouldn't be an absolute necessity for the logo to be fully dimensioned. My manufacturing blocks are used at 1:1 and are fully detailed.