12 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2015 9:47 AM by Jim Stone

ePDM 2014 Features, Version Neutral Data Card Editing ??

James Imes

I've only breezed some basics, but one feature appears to allow data card editing / manipulation without creating a new version.  We have migration errors that ended up w/ incorrect info in description & other fields but we can't rev or we throw away $$kk in parts already engraved.  Rollback is useless on the "migrated" files as nothing to go back too, so only other option appears to be delete file, reintroduce & fill out data card fields correctly.

If this feature can be or has been used by someone out there for anything similar to this problem,  please give me a d101 rundown to share w/ admin as we have thousands of files which makes this problem's fix a "clerical parasite" for the engineering & design groups here. Appreciate time for review !

• Re: ePDM 2014 Features, Version Neutral Data Card Editing ??
          Adrian Velazquez

James they are called Version Free Variables, you can flag existing or new Variables in the admin tool as Version Free... but I typically wouldn't recommend the main Variables (PartNumber, Revision, Description), as version free since they will not link to SW Custom Properties..

James Imes

Thanks for quick comeback Adrian !! Looks like I may have been hopefully optomistic that this might be an answer for our dilema but looks like it has undesirable drawbacks.  Any thoughts on the dilema itself & a potential course of action, be it admin & user based to avoid a huge amount of time ??

Adrian Velazquez

Could explain a bit more in depth the migration scenario?

James Imes

Migration was from eMatix DB & contained SolidWorks, AutoCad & Catia. In Matrix you housed files within a buisness object & you could have one or many files within one object.  Most tooling & machine design stuff was a single drawing & plot file in the object, but some objects housed many.

The migration routine used the object's name for the PDM data card description & the file's name for the PDM drawing's name.  The objects that housed many files all of them came in w/ the same description;

SolidWorks Enterprise PDM Search.png

The rev is contained in the filename & we have many items in stock for service that are engraved w/ that rev. so can't rev. If rollback would work, I could back them up & fix but rollback only shows on the transition to released;

History on 821_FW45NX27160A.png

Only option that I can see is delete, re-introduce & fill out data card,  we have these in the thousands.........

We have eneded our relationship, on a somewhat sour note, with the folks that did the migration so his expertise isn't available to help w/ this fix.  Was hoping that the community out there may be of some help on where to go with this.  Thanks again Adrian !

Jim Sculley

You can add a Non-Revision Change to your Workflow that doesn't increment the revision.  My workflow has this non-revision change capability to fix clerical errors and such:

The Change Complete transition has an Increment Revision action, but the increment value is set to zero:

The net result is that any file that passes through this transition has the same revision before and after:

Jim S.

Jim Stone

Is there confusion here between versions and revisions?

James, as an admin, I have the ability to check out any file, make an clerical tweak and check it back in. That will increment the version (because something has, indeed, changed) but not the revision, which I think is what you're concerned with. Jim Sculley's solution would also leave your revision intact but increment the version. Maybe you could do a mass checkout, tweak, check in? Jason may be right - you probably want to have someone automate this if you have thousands of files.

By the way, see other posts regarding including your revision in your part number/file name. That really complicates things in a PDM system, and the PDM itself actually makes it unnecessary.

Jim, I'm curious as to the logic behind having that non-revision workflow as opposed to just doing an admin check-out. It does leave a clearer trail in history, and that intrigues me a little, I suppose but I hadn't considered creating a workflow for such things and was wondering what you lead you there.

Jim Sculley

Jim Stone wrote:

Jim, I'm curious as to the logic behind having that non-revision workflow as opposed to just doing an admin check-out. It does leave a clearer trail in history, and that intrigues me a little, I suppose but I hadn't considered creating a workflow for such things and was wondering what you lead you there.

When you check out files as an admin and check them back in, the revision is not maintained on the version tab in Explorer, which can be confusing:

I also have 20 users and have no desire to spend my days fixing up their little mistakes/omissions.  The non-revision change workflow puts control back in their hands.  The only caveat is that the users must understand the difference between a revision change and a non-revision change.

When we do work controlled by our QA program (e.g. work for nuclear power plants), non-revision changes are not allowed once the files have 'escaped' Engineering and have been seen by other departments.

Jim S.

Adrian Velazquez

Agree, in general you don't want your "RELEASED" files being modified even if it's just to fix typos and similar issues.

Jim Stone

Thanks, Jim. I guess it's all in how you're using the tool. I honestly hadn't noticed that "No revision" on the version tab before. We show the revision in the main window, so other than watching the "version/revision" on the tab itself, we don't really reference the rest of the information in the body of that tab.

5-18-2015 9-38-07 AM.jpg

I'm primarily a doc control guy so I'm a bit skittish about giving users the ability to make "clerical" updates themselves once something reaches a released state, even if it's still in preproduction. It can be a struggle getting them to give something and actual revision before sending it for a quote! But I can certainly sympathize with not wanting to spend your days cleaning up their mistakes and oversights!

Thanks for the insight.