8 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2015 8:37 PM by Y. A

3D modeling project for your customer?

Y. A

Hi everyone, i'm a new guy around here and after going across some of those topic I haven't figure it out something.

1- How normally a 3D designer will show his project to his customer for review?

I like to hear all kind of opinion about it, picture, video... I like to know which one is the comun way for a 3D designer show his (work) final project to his customer.

I'm a web designer and I know how to show my proposal and project to my customer, but in a 3D environment I like to hear everyone's  opinion about it.

• Re: 3D modeling project for your customer?
          Deepak Gupta

There could be various ways depending on how your customer wants and what relations you've and finally how much information you want to share.

All use all of the following depending on requirements:

1. Pictures

2. 3d PDF

3. eDrawings

4. Video

5. 3d Models

John Stoltzfus

A nice clean 3D model that you can show the customer on screen will almost always open up the communication lines and hopefully close the deal. 

Change your environment background and lighting, use good colors and graphics.....

But show it where you can spin it, chop it and explode it

Mike Pogue

For the actual presentation, an annotated power point with screen shots, analysis result, engineering calcs, etc. is very common. Customers without an engineering background seem to really like e-drawings, and I don't blame them. It's a great way to communicate solid models.

Alin Vargatu

Best is on a big screen from an iPad using eDrawings with Augmented Reality on. If the product is small enough, take a picture of your customer holding it in his hand. If the product is big, film it.

If the product is supposed to move/rotate, film it.

Of course, do not forget to turn off the User Interface buttons and remove the edge representation. I forgot to do that in the picture below.

File 2015-05-12, 11 25 24 AM.png

Alin Vargatu

How many monitors are on my desk?

No, no, no... really... real monitors?

File 2015-05-12, 11 42 29 AM.png

Mark Kaiser

Make a video and share it using join.me (or another screen sharing program).  Or just share your SW screen, again, with join.me or similar.  You can hide the feature tree and toolbars if you like, but this gives you full control of what you can do, especially if they start asking questions and want to see specific parts of the model.

Our last customer presentation started with a video, then I went to the assembly on the SW screen.  Using join.me as screen share program.

Y. A

3D modeling 2015.

Well, thanks guys for sharing opinions. Those are way how to show the client your product, but before you print it or do what ever its the last steep I believe the customer with and without experience have to be able to see and feel the main idea of the project, I mean if animation they have to see the animation itself in movement in that case video should be good, if 3D drowning they have to be able to spin the item with and without experience, that will become to a close out business and happy client.

Pictures, videos, are helpfull and good to know that those are the comun nway to show up your work, but as a web design is easy to send my customer a PDF with the project detail, but talking about 3D drowing and modeling I want to give more flexibility to my customer no just a HD picture and pre-made video, I belive customers deserve better to get their complete attention and remember they will ask question and modification about specific part of the design!!!.

What you guys think people use this method?

Go ahead everyone with comment!