AnsweredAssumed Answered

sub assembly in context

Question asked by Nigel Ball on May 11, 2015
Latest reply on May 12, 2015 by Nigel Ball

Hi,

im new to SW (Inventor user). I am mid way into an In context Assembly. I created a base sketch and im using this to drive my dimensions. Each part i have created is mated to the sketch ( or mated to a part that is mated to the sketch ). All works ok until i create a Sub Assembly of some parts. To me, this is correct modelling to place parts into a sub assembly. The reason of this is, the Sub assembly is also drive by the main sketch dims and the sub assembly is re-used in the assembly.

My problem

when i send the parts to a sub assembly (inside the main assembly as a virtual assembly), i lose my positions and everything needs re-mating. Is this the method of SW? am i to mate / reference parts in an assembly then do them all again in a sub assembly or do the relations carry through to the sub assembly?

This is a new method for me as i usually do multi body parts and send them to an assembly but SW isnt great at working in this way. currently, i am finding the you have to a lot of things twice in SW unless i am doing a lot of things wrong lol.

Can someone just give a little bit of advice on retaining the relations / mates / references to the main assembly parts when i send them to a sub assembly?

Here is my pop up message i get:

SW1.JPG

Thanks

Nacho

Outcomes