7 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2015 12:36 PM by Douglas Kelly

Drawing Workflow...

Douglas Kelly

I have a complicated assembly with many mated parts. Did some interim drawings... lots of sheets and views with very specific show-hides. They looked great! 

I then spent a week adding new parts. When I came back to the drawings to add a couple notes, the new parts were all overlapping and blocking what was already sent out for fab. I needed to go to every single sheet, detail, section view and hide them... just to make them presentable. It took hours.

Overall... In one case, once you complete a drawing, you'd want no changes. Is there a way to lock it down from updates?

In another, you'd want dimensions of SHOWn parts to update automagically... but no new parts elbowing their way in.

I'm getting a third case of all changes all the time.

If anybody knows of a webinar that puts these differences into perspective, that would really help... Cheers!

• Re: Drawing Workflow...
          Ingvar Magnusson

You can use display states 2014 SOLIDWORKS Help - Display States in Assemblies

When you added the new parts, you didn´t want in the drawing. You could add display state (in the assembly), name it e.g. "with added parts" (all parts shown). Then activate your default display state in the assembly (to start with you have only one display state) that is on all your drawing views and hide all the new parts in that display state (in the assembly).

If you wanted e.g. one view with the added parts, you would just switch to "with added parts" display state from drawing view properties 2012 SOLIDWORKS Help - Drawing View Properties

Hope this helps and makes sense.

Douglas Kelly

Wow thank you... that's great but could I have applied it retroactively?

Let's say you create a drawing from an assembly that's already 50% hidden... then hide more features in each view.

Then add some parts in the assy. Then hide all the new parts and save a more primitive Display State in the assembly.

If you then apply the primitive DS to the drawing. Would all the additional view-specific hides go away?

It would work if what's left in a drawing was the addition of hides in model plus additional view-by-view hides.

But I'm guessing I'd need to run those additonal hides on a view-by-view basis again.

Jamil Snead

I'm not sure if you have experience with display states but you can assign a different display state to each drawing view. You may even want to have a separate display state for each set of hides, and just pick the corresponding display state for each view. That might be easier to manage then view-specific hiding. If you assign a different display state to an existing view the view-specific hides should still be applied. The only parts shown will be ones that are neither hidden in the display state nor in the view.

Jamil Snead

To expand on Ingvar's comment I believe that in SW2015 you can set a display state to hide any new parts. So if you run across a similar situation in the future, once you are ready to make the initial drawing you could create a display state for the assembly up to that point. It might be helpful to give it a useful name like include the drawing revision or the date or something. Then set that display state to hide new parts and use it in the drawing views for the initial drawing. Then when it is time to add new parts switch back to the default display state (or make a new one) and add the new parts. The original drawing should keep the reference to the corresponding display state and not show any of the new parts.

Another option is instead of adding the new parts to that same assembly you could create a new assembly, insert the original assembly as a subassembly, and then add the new parts there. The drawing will reference the subassembly and none of the new parts would be in it. Even for the original drawing you may have benefited from using more subassemblies that could have had their own views instead of doing a lot of show/hides in each master assembly drawing view. If you didn't want new files or part numbers for subassemblies you could leave them virtual within the main assembly, and if you still wanted the BOM of the main assembly to list all of the parts instead of subassemblies you could use a "Parts Only" BOM or you could set the BOM option in the configuration properties of the virtual subassemblies to promote children.

Douglas Kelly

Ingvar an Jamil... Thank you both! 

If I just take a moment to create a Display State for each view (once I tweak it enough to fall in love with it), that should keep future parts from crowding in, right? Create a View... Tweak a view... and Lock-in the DS...? Then I can keep moving forward, knowing that I'm not garbaging up my prior work?

I'm better at doing something like that, than being strategic... (strategic being another word for smart).

Jamil Snead

I believe by default if you create some display states with certain parts hidden, when you add new parts to the assembly those parts will be shown in all display states. In SW2015 they have a new setting where you can tell each display state to hide new parts that are added to the assembly.

ds.png

Douglas Kelly

Yes... Thank you... It took a bit, but I'm finally getting it through my head. My customer with this assembly is running SW2013 so I can't do that.

It's certainly non-intuitive that "saving a state" and then using that state in a view wouldn't work... but I'll just need to circle back and tweak the views as necessary. At least it wasn't a dumb question. There's just no solution (until 2015, which I haven't even touched yet!)

I'm new to SW and this is my first experience on the forum. I appreciate your patience!