7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2007 5:47 PM by Vincent Stewart

Convert Entities selection initially don't appear in sketch

Vincent Stewart
      Upon creating a new part in an assembly I typically use the ConvertEntity tool to make my first sketch lines for that new part. However, any number of converted entities do not appear. Only after I have sketched a single line segment or rectangledo the converted entities appear allowing me to use them increating the intended part.

Converted entities do appear automatically if I sketch a"stray" line segment before using convert entities.

Interestingly enough, when I zoom out from the assembly (far away -the assembly is really small) the converted entities do appear, butdisappear again when zooming back in (before sketching the strayline mentioned above).  Neither does spinning the model showthe converted entities.

I have also tried rebooting the machine thinking it might be a RAMissue, but the same thing happens every time.  I do have thelatest driver for my video card.

I think it is a software problem, but maybe someone has a remedy... 

Any ideas???
        • Convert Entities selection initially don't appear in sketch
          SolidAir
          Vincent,

I am no expert at video cards but when you say you have the latest driver, do you mean from the vendor or approved by SolidWorks?

SA
            Vincent Stewart
            I believe the latest driver from the vendor's web site.

Incidentally, the vendor through whom we purchased SW2007 came andset it up on my machine within the last month and downloaded thelatest driver for me.
                Hi Vincent
                From this page the last video driver certified for your card is the 6.14.10.9136
                You can see the version of your driver by going to CONTROL PANEL\DISPLAY\SETTINGS\ADVANCED\CARD\PROPERTIES\DRIVER.
                  jeff beardsley
                  Vincent

I have also run into this issue before. Let me ask you one question, if you try to do this on someone else machine does it still happen? I'm going to assume your answer is no. This is a little trick that I used and it worked great. Go to:

Tool
                  Options
                  System Options
                  Display/Selection
                  You then want to go to the "Assembly transperency for in context edit" section.

Make sure this is set to "Force Assembly Transparency".

Now comes the tricky part (kinda). Just to the right of "Force Assembly Transparency" you will see a slide bar that goes from 0% to 100%. You need to adjust this and then go back into your assembly and edit a part in context to see if it worked. This is a trial and error process, only adjust the transperency a little bit at a time.

This worked just fine me. Hope it helps you.

Thanks
                      Vincent Stewart

Originally posted by: jeff beardsley Vincent Ihave also run into this issue before. Let me ask you one question,if you try to do this on someone else machine does it still happen?I'm going to assume your answer is no. This is a little trick thatI used and it worked great. Go to: Tool Options System OptionsDisplay/Selection You then want to go to the "Assemblytransperency for in context edit" section. Make sure this isset to "Force Assembly Transparency". Now comes thetricky part (kinda). Just to the right of "Force AssemblyTransparency" you will see a slide bar that goes from 0% to100%. You need to adjust this and then go back into your assemblyand edit a part in context to see if it worked. This is a trial anderror process, only adjust the transperency a little bit at a time.This worked just fine me. Hope it helps you. Thanks

Driver is correct version.

Tried the above methods (from Jeff) and my machine is still notinitially showing Converted Entities.  

My co-worker's machine does show the initially ConvertedEntities.  I have tried to set all of my settings in"Options" similar to the settings on his computer, butthis did not help either.  I will keep pursuing thisangle when it is convenient.

Maybe another helpful clue... I also noticed that when my mousepointer is over the area of one of the Converted Entities which isnot visible that the converted entity will appear as a red line,but will disappear as soon as the pointer is out of that area.

In addition, I just opened a file from about a month ago (smallerassembly) and the Converted Entities do appear when selected firston my machine.  HMMM???

Thanks for your help and if you have any other ideas just let meknow.