8 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2015 10:39 AM by Dennis Dohogne

show part phantomed

Dean Henrich

Hey, I just want to show a component in phantom lines in a drawing view.  (I don't want to create alternate configurations or positions.)

In Creo, I would pick "component display" and have choices of blank, phantom-transparent, phantom-opaque and also option to apply this to selected view, this sheet or entire drawing.  So how does one do it in SW 2014?

• Re: show part phantomed
          Mark Greenwell

Hi Dean,

In your drawing select the part to make Phantom.

Then go to liner style and select the Phantom line option.

lines.PNG

Thanks

Mark

SolidWorks 2015 sp2.1

Deepak Gupta

Right click on the component and select "component line font". Change the display as required for selected view(s) or all views.

Andy Sanders

We run into the same issue here.  We want to overlay a "customer part" on top of our designs.  We don't want to cover up our part, and changing the customer part to phantom does that.

The only work around we've found is to insert another view of the part, make it phantom and overlay it on top of the original view.

All this would go away if you could make the phantom part "transparent" on the drawing.

Dennis Dohogne

Dean,

Something that might serve your needs well is "Alternate Position View".  I've used this, especially for patent drawings, and it works very well once you figure it out (which is very easy - the trick is knowing what to look for in the Help).  Read up on Alternate Position View in the Help and let us know if this is what you are looking for.  This is only available for assemblies, but It is nothing to create an assembly with only one part and go from there.  It might not be the most direct route you are looking for, but it is still a viable solution and easier than other routes.

Perhaps en Enhancement Request is in order that Alternate View be made available to part drawings.

- - -Dennis