8 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2015 5:31 PM by Jason Capriotti

Moving EPDM to a new server

Mike Sveda

I am moving my EPDM 2014 to a new server running EPDM 2015.  I know how to copy and restore the SQL database and archive files. 

However, I am confused about server names and making sure everything works when I turn the new one on.

Currently:

• New server is named ABCOEPDM1, old server is ABCOEPDM
      • New server has Windows Server 2012 installed, SLQ Server 2014, and EPDM 2015 SP2.1

My plan is:

1. Lock out the old server.
      2. Make SQL backup
      3. Copy SLQ backup to new server
      4. Copy Archives over to new server in a TEMP folder
      5. Shutdown old server
      6. Rename ABCOEPDM1 to ABCOEPDM
      7. Set the IP and MAC address of new server to old server

By having already installed EPDM2015 on ABCOEPDM1, will I have any issues?  I would assume to delete all the databases in SQL as they would point ot ABCOEPDM1?  Will SQL Server 2014 realize the name change?

• Re: Moving EPDM to a new server
          Jason Capriotti

You might get your VAR involved and see if they have a procedure to follow. We did this 2-3 years ago and it was an ordeal. We have 3 servers, SQL and two archives replicated. We purchased 3 new servers and named them the same except appended an "a" to the end.

Here's our procedure:

• Stop Archive PDM service and set to manual (epdm01 and epdm03)
          • Stop SQL PDM service and set to manual (epdm02)
          • Drop SQL databases and kill connections (epdm02) (ePDM_ProductData, Conisio)
          • Copy Archive files (epdm01 and epdm03) to new servers (edm01a and edm03a) (We use  a sync program to mirror over the files since there were so many files and takes a long time to copy. So we copied everything over well ahead of time then just synced the differences on upgrade day). We use Syncback with its mirror option.
          • Verify files on each archive server using sync tool.
          • Copy all databases over to new SQL server (epdm02a)
          • Restore databases on epdm02a (overwrite data option) Make sure server is logged out of ePDM….background client process.
          • Rename old servers (append with "b"), reboot
          • Rename new servers (remove "a"), reboot
          • In SSMS, run query to rename server internally:

sp_dropserver [epdm02a]
                          GO
                          sp_addserver [epdm02], local
                          GO

• Restart SQL service
          • Update new server databases table to new archive server names.          

Table “ArchiveServers” update column entries for “ArchiveServerName”

Table “SystemInfo” update column entry for “ArchiveServerName”

• Update SQL/Archive servers registry  (Don’t forget wow6432node) (Use Find function to search for all 3 server names)

HKLM\Software\SolidWorks\PDMWorks Enterprise\Databases\Product Data

DbServer

ServerLoc

HKLM\Software\SolidWorks\PDMWorks Enterprise\MailService

Server

HKCU\Software\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\ConisioAdmin\Servers

Archive Servers

HKCU\Software\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\ArcServCreator

Serv

HKCU\Software\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\ConisioAdmin\Servers

DbServer

HKLM\Software\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\ArchiveServer\Vaults\Product Data

Server

HKLM\Software\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\Databases\Product Data

DbServer

• Restart PDM services on Archive and database servers
          • Test ePDM clients

A problem we ran into afterwards was the SQL maintenance plans (Backups, etc.) Sql didn't like moving them to another server....I pretty much had to set them back up from scratch. I'm not a SQL expert though so maybe there was an easier way, however I read lots of complaints about it.

Todd Puckett

Everyone's instructions look pretty good, we did this 9 months ago (4 replicated sites, 4 file vaults, 130 users).  Two items not listed that bit us were:

1. Create a backup of the EPDM Archive Server settings using - Tools\Backup Settings\Launch backup...

Use this backup to restore settings on new archive server.

2. Delete old Web Server, add new Web Server using EPDM Administration tool

At some point you will want to delete the old archive server from the database server.  This is done by editing the dbo.ArchiveServers table and deleting the row that contains the old server name.

Also you will need to rebuild any replications schedules.

Paul Wyndham

I have made copies of several vaults on test servers many times over the years. Here is how I do it:

• Back up the SQL Vault database and the ConisioMasterDb
              • Make a copy of the Archive folder structure
              • Export the Vault CVS file
              • Copy all the files to the new server/s
              • Create a new empty vault on the new server
              • Delete the new server database from SQL
              • Restore the original database
              • Modify the Archive server name in the dbo.ArchiveServers table
              • Restore the vault CVS file to the EPDM admin tool for the vault
              • Move the copied archive files to the appropriate location
              • Make sure the Archive server registry keys point to the correct data and archive servers
              • Have clients run a script to change their registry to point to the new server name/s

You should be able to do all of this ahead of time as a test. Then if it all looks good you can do it for production.

If you are planning to change the new server to have the same name as the previous server then you could leave out the steps to change the name.

Charley Saint

Hey Mike,

You should take a look at this article too since you already have SQL installed on the target machine. SQL doesn't like it when you rename it's host so there are some things you need to do to keep it happy.

Rename a Computer that Hosts a Stand-Alone Instance of SQL Server