36 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2017 7:50 AM by Aizat Halim

Slow Performance

Yosef Yoely

Hi,

I am using SolidWrks 2014 SP05 with epdm. I have HP compaq 8200 with Quadro 2000.

I have built a large assembly an I have run it in a large assembly mode but it still not enough and it run very slow.

The slowness occurs in the transition between part and assembly windows

Opening the assembly of 3,000 parts takes about 10 minutes.

I tried Lightweight, speedPack  and the results did not provide significant improvement

How can I solve or even improve slightly this problem because it is a misery to continue like that.

• Re: Slow Performance
          Jeff Holliday

The Quadro card is not too bad provided the driver is correct. You didn't mention what your RAM is - that can have a big effect on performance. The type of parts in your assy can make a big difference as well as the modeling techniques used in the parts/assy's. I would suggest using several sub-assemblies instead of many single parts. Think of them the same way that they may be manufactured.

Yosef Yoely

Hi Jeff,

We have a 16 GB memory and the network speed 1Gb/s.

we use several sub-assemblies.

Yosef

Aizat Halim

Hi,

for the past 2 week I have been using Solidwork 2017 with no problem. but recently when I open solidwork, it becomes so lagging like it need some time to think. I'm using MacBook pro 10,2 , processor Intel(R) Core (TM) i53210 with a graphic card Intel(R) HD Graphics 400013- inch retina. I am using boot camp and put windows 10 64 bit into my MacBook. I put my solid works in a hard drives SSD because of insufficient space on my computer. I have tried to maximise the graphic performance but it doesn't do anything. I also tried to change the bit of intel had graphics from 10 to 09 but still doesn't work either. please help me.

Asdfa Afsdaff

Are all of your parts and subassemblies saved in SW2014?  If they're older versions, it will slow down your load times a lot.

Yosef Yoely

Hi Asdfa,

When I open assemblies, 10%-20% of the parts/sub-assemblies are older versions (2012 version or older).

Is there any way to Re-savequpdate them automatically in the ePDM to 2014? Most ogf those assemblies are not owned by me.

In any case your proposal will not fix my slow transition between assembly windows.

Shaodun Lin
                    1. How large is your total file size?
                    2. Is there many in-context features?
                    3. Are you using a SSD?
                    4. Do you have enough RAM? ( >16GB)
                      VIGNESH NAGARAJAN

Hi Yosey ,

While Working with Large assemblies see that all your Files are stored in a local drive rather than a network drive since it takes more time to rebuild. The major causes of slowness Might be :

1. Using Unwanted Features and mates in the Assembly .

2. Image Quality and Other Performance related Options in SolidWorks .

3. Older version Files . If so try to convert all into newer version files.

4. External Reference of the model.

5. Virtual Memory Setings .

You can evaluate your assembly through assembly expert . Check with these Scenarios . Hope this is helpful.

Thanks & Regards ,

N.Vignesh

Richard Bremmer

You might want to try to remove all your don't ask me again "answers". Tools-->options-->messages(the last one)-->enable all checkmarks in the big white box.

Yosef Yoely

Thanks Richard.

I did it - No improvement.

Yosef

Richard Bremmer

Personaly I still feel it's a settings issue as you only see it when switching assemblies.

You need to find out if it is a problem with:

1. Addins that are enabled, turn all addins off.
                                2. Opening files over the network, pack and go the assembly to c:\temp, disconnect the LAN and open the file from c:\temp.
                                3. Your windows profile, rename HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks start SolidWorks and test, if no improvement, undo the rename and create a new local windows user, logon to the computer with the new profile and try again.
                                4. Your computer, try the same actions on another computer.
                                5. The assembly, than try what Alin Vargatu mentioned and what you can find here CATI Tech Notes: Maximize SolidWorks Performance White Paper
                                    Yosef Yoely

Thanks Richard.

1. In local working I got an improvement of 10%. The slowness also occurs in the transition between part and assembly or drawing windows

2. My organization's security policy does not allow me to do it.

3. At least 100 users in our organization feel these problems...

4. I checked, and our computers are configured according to recommendations in CATI Tech Notes: Maximize SolidWorks Performance White Paper

I am wondering , if there is a limitation of the software work normally with large assemblies?

Alin Vargatu

Just be aware that the white paper was published in 2012 and, while most of its recommendations are valid, there are a few important tools for drastically simplifying the geometry that have not been included in the document.

How much did you work with Speepaks? Do you know how and especially when to use them? If you do, you can simplify the craziest assembly to a degree that still gives you full control while making working with the model a breeze.

Richard Bremmer

Involve your IT department in suggestion 2.

It's a long shot, but your company wouldn't be the fist to copy Windows user settings from a default user to a new user, where the default users registry is broken. Preferably have the IT guys create a new local profile with admin rights and try to open from c:\temp again, change the SolidWorks settings manually to the ones from CATI test again. This will be the maximum performance on your hardware. B.T.W. you could easily make a bad choice in processors in this business computer, a genuine workstation (for instance a HP Z440@3,6 GHz) will have better performance.

After that it's option 4 and you need to look into Large Design Review and other tools, most of the other tools are mentioned in the book "Improving Large Assembly Design Using SolidWorks'.

Yosef Yoely

Hi Richad and all responders,

Thanks to all your suggestions, I was able to put the finger on the source of slowness.

The slowness occurs when I activating Solidworks Enterprise PDM and disappears when I deactivate the add-in.

My questions are:

1. Do you know the phenomenon?
                                              2. Is there a risk in this work? Opening the assembly through the ePDM -> Deactivate ePDM and working with good performance -> Activating ePDM for Check-In or update parts/sub-assemblies. Is important to note new ePDM connection takes a long time in large assembly.
                                              3. Do you have another idea that allows me to work normally and fast?

Regards,

Yosef

Richard Bremmer

Didn't think off addins, sorry.

EPDM 2015 has some improvements in performance related to the addin. You need these improvements if the SQL server has a high latency, if the SQL server is inhouse you shouldn't even notice the delay with the EPDM addin enabled. I'm guessing the SQL server is abroad And latency is above 125 ms.

Most things you get from the addin are for your convience, so you can have a fast workflow for checkin in and other actions related to EPDM (no need to close the document before checkin etc.). Actually you only really need the addin when you use EPDM to generate the filename. You could turn off all automatic updates of the addin to get the best performance with the addin enabled.

Alin Vargatu

Open the assembly and move the image quality slider to somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd gradation. Make sure this settings get propagated to parts. Rebuild. Save.

Do you see any improvement?

iq.jpg

Christopher Sudlik

It sounds like you are loading a large amount of information off of a slow HDD, which is going to take time. On top of that, solidworks has to do extra processing to manage and display parts that are in older versions, parts that have errors, etc, which will increase the time it takes to process the assembly.

I'm not familiar with the EPDM software so I do not know how to migrate parts to current version if you don't have ownership, but that would be worth looking into. It could also be that you are accessing parts on a remote drive which would take even longer to process than from the local disk.

David Suelflow

Would using the Freeze bar in your parts & sub-assemblies speed things up?

VIGNESH NAGARAJAN

Hi Yosef ,

Reading all this discussion above , Still I have small points to suggest.

Check for These Scenario:

1. Upgrade Your Graphic card driver to the latest Version as supported by SolidWorks.

2. Try to adjust your Options to best Performance.

3.Turn off your Real -View As well As Shadow view Graphics and see.

Thanks & Regards,

N.Vignesh

Vladimir Urazhdin

Try simplifying components and get rid from unnecessary features like real thread models, internal (invisible) fillets, etc. Improve assembly structure. Slit top assembly into subassemblies and replace your 3000 components with multi-layer subassemblies.

John Stoltzfus

One thing to keep in mind is Circular rebuilds