4 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2015 9:56 PM by Scott Kramer

Having trouble with MATES (Assembly mates, not my wife:-) ??? )

Paul Landolfo

I created a file structure for parts and assemblies on my portable hard drive.  When I had everything in place and working well, I transferred the entire "file structure" to the company network hard drive.  Everything seemed to go well.  All parts, including toolbox parts, were found by the assemblies.  However, In @75% of the "mates" one, or more, of the selected mate surfaces are missing.  I can go in and re-select the surfaces on the obvious ones, but the larger assemblies are unusable!  Are there any thoughts on this???  I can't afford this much time correcting all these mates.

Thanks,

Paul Landolfo

• Re: Having trouble with MATES (Assembly mates, not my wife:-) ??? )
          Ingvar Magnusson

Hard to say based on info:

Just a thought, they might be missing (the faces) because the toolbox parts were recreated when you opened it up on the network drive.

Maybe you can be more specific.

• Is it more then one project ? (More then one main assembly)
          • How did you transfer it ? just moved the file structure or used "pack and go" , if you used pack and go did you include toolbox parts?
          • What are the settings for Toolbox

Toolbox.jpg

• What Toolbox settings are other using in the company ? Are you using the same Hole Wizard and Toolbox folder ? Is it located on the company´s network drive?
          • What are the settings for Referenced Documents in File locations in system options
              Paul Landolfo

Ingvar,

Thank you for your reply.  You brought up some things I was not aware of.  There were several assemblies with @ 20 parts.  I set it up so the file structure

was identical, then copied the structure to the network location (the only difference would be the drive letter change; from C to V drive).  Pack and go was not an option because my boss wants parts in one location only (not stored with assemblies).  I was not aware of the "Toolbox settings" and I will check that.  Thank you again.  I think this will definitely help!

Paul

John Stoltzfus

"Not the Wife" - that's not what the neighbors are saying - lol

On another note - Are the mates suppressed or is the assembly opened in lightweight ?

Scott Kramer

SolidWorks recognizes the surface, edge, or point you choose for each mate by some combination of ones and zeroes that identifies that surface, edge, or point.  Each of these entities (surface, edge, or point) has it's own identity, even if it looks the same to us on the screen

Try a simple experiment. Make a flat washer by revolving a rectangle or extruding two circles.  Insert the washer into a new assembly.  Bring a screw into the assembly and mate it to the washer.  Go back to the washer part file and delete the feature.  Now recreate the feature, using the same original sketch.  Go back to the assembly and you will see that the mates you previously made are broken.  They are broken because SolidWorks can not find the entities that you clicked on to create those mates.  They are gone.  The surfaces of the washer look the same but were given a new identity when the second feature was created.

This is what's happening in your assemblies.  The surfaces of the toolbox parts on your company's network don't have the same identity as the ones on your portable hard drive, so you get the error message.

I don't have a magical solution for fixing this.  I would do one of two things.  If the toolbox parts on the network have not been used by any other assemblies, other than the ones from your portable drive, replace those toolbox parts with the ones from your portable drive.  Or, start at the lowest assemblies and fix the mates one by one, working your way up to the top.  It won't be that bad.  If you edit a faulty mate, you will just need to click on the new surface and the green check, just 3 clicks per bad mate.