AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do I simulate a mobility scooter to go up an incline of 15 degrees at 30 km/h with a 300 lb person to see if it can climb a 15 degree

Question asked by Matthew Chan on Apr 30, 2015
Latest reply on Oct 7, 2015 by Samuel Walsh

I'm trying to simulate an electric mobility scooter with varying loads i.e. heavy person, light person, etc.. etc... and varying ramps of incline of 5, 10 and 15 degrees.  I'm trying to simulate absolute fail conditions (i.e. person of 300 lbs will not be able to climb a 15 degree slope starting at 30 km/h) and work backwards to find an optimal motor/battery strength to be able to push a 300 lb guy up a 15 degree slope, if possible.

I've overwritten the masses to match, inputted common road/rubber friction coefficients, and am using an applied force of 300 lbs (136 kg)(800 or so N of force downward) with an overwritten center of gravity over the rear wheel axle as it should be.  Everything is mated carefully, tangential mates in the beginning of the simulation with the wheels to make contact with the road and then after a second or so I flip them off.

Overall, I'm not 100% on all the forces I should be applying, whether initial velocity, torque on rear wheel (from motor), adding a rotary motor, or adding a pushing force equal to 30 km/h.  Nevertheless I've tried them all.  I've thrown on earth gravity, friction, and 300 lb mass, as well as mobility scooter mass (80kg) and a bit of mass for the wheels themselves.

What would give me the most accurate results for my specific scenario.  What forces should be applied and how.  Geometry is basic, just an overall representation of a bike body and 2 wheels on axles.  Unfortunately I don't have any pics or files on this machine.

Outcomes