2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2015 11:33 AM by Bill McEachern

FEA Total Strain Energy

Alan Thomason

In a separate recent post I asked what the units for the following notation in the *.out file is....

It turns out it is listed, at the very top...

SYSTEM OF UNITS:

International System of Units, SI, is used for all input/output data.

Common Quantities:

Length:meter, Mass:kilogram, Time:second, Temperature:kelvin

Force:newton, Pressure also stress:pascal, Energy:joule, Power:watt

Now, unfortunately, I have new roadblock.  The system I am modeling requires Large Displacement Analysis, at which point that same line goes to zero:

Bummer!  I was so happy to find such a useful number, but it turns out to be limited to lower displacement analyses, unless one of our forum members knows if there is another source for this information in large displacement?  What happens if you perform a non-static analysis, is there another source for the information (beyond my licensing).

Thanks in advance.

• Re: FEA Total Strain Energy
          Jared Conway

can't you sum up total strain energy right from list selected?

this came up recently with our tech support group and we found a lot of great info in the SWX kb. you might want to check there on limitations

• Re: FEA Total Strain Energy
            Bill McEachern

If you want the energy, use the other side of the equation. to the best of my knowledge SWX Sim does not report NL strain energy. For a linear analysis you can take the input force and multiply it by its displacement in the direction it is pointing and divide by 2. In an NL study it is the area under the load displacement curve for some node near the load application point in the component in the direction of the the load will get it close enough.