14 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2015 8:50 AM by Harun Leto

Static beam analysis

Harun Leto

Hi there

I'm currently creating a beam analysis and during meshing i realised that solidworks creates a black element at joint contact faces. I tried to look up what this element represents, E.G what properties it has and why it is placed where it is. Looking forward to some inputs.

Regards

Harun

3.png

• Re: Static beam analysis
          Jared Conway

right off the bat, i don't think i've seen that before. have you run this simulation before and it wasn't there or are you new to weldment analysis and just looking for an explanation of what it is?

version/sp?

graphics card that you're using?

is it showing on every connection or just this one? if just this one, is there something unique like 2 different type of elements coming together?

does it show stress results in that area when you plot results?

do the results look wrong in any way? either in that area or the structure?

can you post a sample file (not this one) that shows the same behavior?

Harun Leto

Previously i used Ansys, but the weldment analysis in solidworks seemed quite easy to handle. I've used the weldment analysis before, but i'd still categorize my self as new to this type of analysis. I'm looking for an explanation of what the properties of this element is, and why it's been placed as it is.Perhaps it is created to enable distribution of forces/provide some sort of stiffness between the links the beam elements can't?

I'm currently using solidworks 2012

Running on a NVIDIA gt 750 SLI setup

I posted pictures showing how the joint intersect.

The stresses look both right and wrong. It depends on if i render the beam or not. If the beam is rendered the correct stresses are showing ( Verified by an analytic soloution), however if the render feature in plots is disabled the stresses in the entire element are way of - as it can be seen in the photo

Harun Leto

Forgot to comment on the on the connection and elements.

It's showing at two connections. I have a couple of joints between truss and beam elements, however this error is occuring where two 

beam elements intersect.

3.png

Harun Leto

Bump - Adding the model

Harun Leto

I ran the study on a 2014 SP2.0 and elements did not appear. I guess it's just something caused in the 2012 version. I'd still like to know why it appears if anyone knows.

Regards

Harun

Shaodun Lin

You can upgrade to SW2015 SP2 and try out

Jared Conway

honestly sounds like an issue from back in that version.

have you tried creating a brand new assembly to see if that problem exists?

i don't have 2012 to even take a look at the issue.

and not sure why you wouldn't use 2014 or 2015 if you have it

Harun Leto

I think i somewhat figured out what it does.

I forced the same error in the 2014 version by adjusting the joint gap distance. If the distance became too far, the joints would not define properly and add the same element. Figured it might have something to do with undefined open regions, and it therefor place a stiff element to create a joint. This would explain the low stresses in the element.

I use both 2012 and 2014.

I ran the study on the 2012 model first since it's connected to a working PDM network. The people administrating the network told me to get the 2012 version when using the PDM server.