3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2015 9:11 PM by Jared Conway

Updates to the model do not transfer to the motion study. Mates conflict between the model view and the motion study.

Allan Katz

I have an assembly sketch that defines the lengths of a bunch of linkages. After I've created the motion study, if I then edit the master sketch within the model view, the changes will not update in the motion analysis. I have to repeat all edits in the motion analysis view. If I add a new part or add a new feature to existing parts (or even a new dimension to that assembly sketch), it will update in the motion analysis. Modifications to existing parts/features/sketches do not update.

Also, if I have a mate suppressed in the model view, but it is active in the motion study, it will be treated as active in the model view. My work around for this is to delete all mates from the motion study and create only local mates.

I'm running SW14 SP4.0

• Re: Updates to the model do not transfer to the motion study. Mates conflict between the model view and the motion study.
          Jared Conway

i'm trying to determine if you posted these together because you believe they are related...the reason I ask is because I don't know if either has enough detail to troubleshoot.

first question, do you have access to 2015. its possible this was an issue in 2014 and already fixed. (could also check the KB)

regarding the first issue, you say if you add a new part or new feature it updates the motion analysis. do you mean it fixes the problem?

on the second issue, how can you tell that the mate is active in the model view?

do either of these issues get resolved with a new study?

some videos or a sample assy would be helpful.

• Re: Updates to the model do not transfer to the motion study. Mates conflict between the model view and the motion study.
              Allan Katz

Hi Jared,

I don't have access to SW2015, but we'll be upgrading once SP3 is out.

I've attached a sample assembly. The linkage lengths and positions are defined in the sketch at the assembly level. If you update the sketch in the model view, the changes do not propagate to the motion study. However, if you add a new line element or a new dimension to the sketch in the model view, these will propagate to the motion study. SW doesn't seem to be updating properly.

I included the second issue because it seems to be related to the way that solidworks is treating the motion study as separate, but the same. Unfortunately in the attached example, I couldn't recreate the issue. But what I was seeing before was this: I had a mate to define the top height of a plate and a mate to define the bottom height of a plate. In the model view the top height was active, but in the motion study, the bottom height mate was active. In the model view, it was showing up as overdefined, even though in the model view the bottom height mate was suppressed. In more complex assemblies, I've gotten overdefined errors. I then suppress every mate related to the part, but I am still unable to move the part. I can only move the part once I change to the motion analysis. Sometimes the act of changing to the motion study fixes it, but sometimes I need to suppress the mates in the motion study.