11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2015 3:06 PM by Michael Butts

How to add component drawings to assembly drawing

Michael Butts

I have created the part models and drawings for an assembly.  I inserted the models into one assembly model and then did a drawing of the assembly with a BOM in that drawing.  Is there a way to add the component drawings as sheets 2, 3, and 4 to the assembly drawing so that all of the drawings are kept together?

Thanks,

Mike

• Re: How to add component drawings to assembly drawing
          Glenn Schroeder

1.  Open a Part drawing.

2.  Right-click on the sheet tab at the bottom and choose "Copy" from the drop-down

3.  Open the Assembly drawing.

4.  Right-click on the sheet tab at the bottom and choose "Paste" from the drop-down

This will add (2) at the end of all pasted sheet names, so you'll need to Re-name them and remove that.

Michael Butts

Holy Smokes Glenn!  It can't get any simpler than that.  I tried everything but the obvious.

Thanks,

Mike

Michael Butts

Hi Glen,

After creating several assembly drawings and pasting in the individual drawings as you suggested I thought I was on a roll.  However, as my luck would have it I have another problem maybe no so easy to solve?  I noticed that the drawings I paste in to the assembly drawing are coming in with dangling dimensions.  Also, I noticed that if I go to the original individual drawing file and add some additional dimensions when I go back to the assembly drawing that drawing is not updating.  Any suggestions?  I have attached an assembly file and I deleted the dimensions in the guiderod drawing, but left the dangling dimensions in the slider for you to see.  I am also attaching all of the original drawings and models I copied to show I have added some extra dimensions (just for testing) so you can see that they are not being updated in the assembly drawing file.

Thanks,

Mike

Mark Kaiser

That's not the way SW works....  You cannot have two drawing files tied to each other, where if you update one, the other updates also.  Someone please correct if I'm wrong.

The dangling dimensions sort of suprises me.  It seems to me if you are just copying a drawing sheet from one file to another, it would work seemlessly.  Have you tried just copying views from one drawing file to another, to fix the dangling dimension issue?

Michael Butts

Thanks for your response Mark, and I believe you are correct about having two drawings tied to each other.  I understand a little better now that if I insert the drawings into the assembly drawing I do not need the other individual drawing.  I did a test editing the model by changing a dimension of a sketch in the model and it did update both drawings, the individual component drawing and the one I inserted into the assembly drawing.  What is not updating is if I manually add a dimension to the component drawing it does not update the assembly drawing and vice versa.  So basically it seems that I need to delete the component drawing I made and just keep the assembly copy.  I don't know how others do it, but if I am making an assembly I will create the individual components and make drawings at that level.  Then I make an assembly model, insert the BOM, and then copy the previous component drawings I made into the assembly drawing.  I need to make the individual drawings first because I have to send a drawing to the shop for manufacturing of the part and once the "bugs" are worked out I have a good part with a complete drawing.  I  would be curious to learn how others are doing it.  I suppose it would be ideal if the complete assembly could be made first then detail drawings done right in the assembly (is that top down process?)  However, here we start with a component, make it, then start adding other parts until we get a completed assembly (bottom up?)  If the worst that happens is that I have to copy, paste, then delete the original drawing life is still good

Mike

South Carolina

Mark Kaiser

Are you saying you want to add previously made part drawings to your assembly drawing file?  If yes, Glenn's option will work.  If you haven't created the part drawings yet, and you want to create the part drawings in the assembly file, just add a new sheet to the asm. drawing, insert>drawing view>model, and browse to the part file.