1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 26, 2015 11:56 PM by Jared Conway

**SW CFD running MUCH slower than it should be?!!?

Brian Martin

I'm hoping someone out there might have some advice.  I am a student and do not have a full understanding of exactly how the flow sim is using my pc, so please bear with me.

First off, PC specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K (Quad-core 4.0 GHz)

RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB (2x8GB) (DDR3 1866)

HDD: WD Black WD2003FZEX (2TB, 7200 RPM)

SSD: Intel 530 Series 120 GB

Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 (2GB, 256 bit GDDR5, 1152 CUDA Cores)

PS: Rosewill Capstone 750W

Water cooled

Win 7 (64 bit)

SW Version: 2013 (64 bit) Student

This is a new PC build as my 6 year old laptop couldn't cut it anymore with all of my engineering software.  When I first started using the PC, the flow sim studies that took my old laptop 6 hrs were taking my PC about 30 sec on average.  Then, I moved out of my apartment and re-setup my PC and all of the sudden I'm having strange issues with the CFD.  The solver is still ultra fast, but as soon as I switch into the flow sim tab, the program slows down in a major way.  I.e. while trying to setup computational domain, a right click can take 5-10 seconds to appear, but my CPU usage is very low and if I switch over to my internet browser (for example), no speed issues, then when I run the simulation (takes FOREVER to get it started as rotating the model, right clicking, etc. in the flow sim tab is strangely super slow), the solver is super fast.

Absolutely no idea what's going on; obviously the PC specs. are way too high for this to get slowed down (this is even happening if I do for example external flow on a sphere 3 inches in diameter with a super coarse domain mesh.  The solving is really fast, but the setup is super slow.  SW is being run off my SSD for a faster startup time, but with all my RAM and what not, I am not sure the problem is.  The only thing I can think of is that maybe the flow sim is trying to use my motherboard's integrated graphics rather than my EVGA video card?

Any advice is much appreciated and for the record, I tried boosting the Win7 power settings to high performance to see if it was getting throttled, but that's not the issue.

Thank you for your time

Brian