9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2015 3:38 AM by R. Vignesh

EPDM transition with user input?

Aaron Torberg

Is there any way that when a user initiates a transition EPDM can prompt them for a variable value?  Like if they wanted to fill in the "checked by" field, when transitioning from checked to released?

• Re: EPDM transition with user input?
          Jason Spansel

You should be able to run a Dispatch action for this.

I did a quick test and during a transition, made it ask the question.  You can then have dispatch based on their answer, either jump back for them to add the variable, or proceed with state change...  Maybe. I have not tested that far.

Capture24.JPG

Jason Spansel

Or since they should have actually checked the file before transitioning... Simply make a dispatch action that will check out, populate the "checked by" variable and check in automatically during the state change.  Much simpler, and they dont have to remember.

Aaron Torberg

Jason,

Thanks for the help!  I have already created a transition that writes to the variable "Checked By" with the user initials for this, however I came into the scenario today where a package of drawings was checked but not transitioned, then the next day the user went on vacation.  Now the files are stuck in the "Checking" state cause the user did not push them through before leaving - having an alternate transition where I could specify the value for "Checked By" would allow me to get them through the workflow without needing the users presence.  Does this make sense?  In your first response could that dispatch pop up contain a field for entering the checker name?  I have not done anything yet with dispatch...

Jason Spansel

I got dispatch carried away and forgot transition actions for variable fulfillment. So yes, that is even easier for that.

So for your current situation...

So you want to transition the files yourself, but have the other user's name populate the checked by variable but enter it manually.

Dispatch is fairly limited with that I think.  It will allow you to specify what you want the variable to be when you make the dispatch action, but I cannot see a way for it to pop up and ask you for a manual input at the time you are using the action.

Are you allowed to simply check the files out, enter the variable data you want, check them in and transition them yourself?  If you do that in your current transition, it would overwrite that data with your own name most likely, but if doing an alternate transition leg, it should be fine. 

Aaron Torberg

I can transition them myself, check them out, change the property manually from my name to the correct value, and then check them back in but we're talking about 35-50 files .  If I had an automated solution that would be much easier...  I guess I could create a transition based on the automated solution that is already in place, one that is only available to my user account, and every time this scenario needs to happen I can get into the admin tool and fill in the variable I want... this seems a little cumbersome...

Jason Spansel

Yeah, I understand.  I run into that as well when people forget to fill in a variable or put the wrong data in.  I DO use dispatch for that, as long as all the variables should be the same thing (like a user name or ecn number).  A dispatch task to where you can select all the files, right click and execute the dispatch task to populate the variable.   I will go in and modify the dispatch task to change what variable and what I want that variable to be each time I need to use the Dispatch task for a different variable.  Its a little more cumbersome than a pop up during a transition, but much better than filling in each variable one by one.

Jason Spansel

Here is how a dispatch action for something like that looks...

You would transition them yourself.  Then once they are in the state you want, its an automatic check out all files, change variable to what you made the dispatch action say, check them all back in.

By using "menu command", you will highlight all files you want to change, then right click.  You will see your menu command and click on it.

Capturedd.JPG

Captureee.JPG

I use this a lot.  Then if a different user does the same thing, you can just come back and edit the dispatch action to that users name and run on the files.

Iftach Priel

I actually use the same method for these kind of cases.

here's a way to take it one step further:

In the beginning of the script, before "for all documents", have an "edit box" that lets you input the name of the user who forgot to change state. This value will be stored in a run-time variable, and then set to all files selected for the dispatch. this way you won't have to edit the dispatch each time it happens. I know it only take something like 15 seconds, but when you're lazy like me, in makes a difference.

R. Vignesh

Hello,

If you want to add the user's initials who is performing the transition from checked to released then simply you can add an action in the transition.

Go to the transition < go the Actions Tab < There u say 'Set Variable' < Select the Variable 'Checked By' < and set the value as %initials%.

Then Every time any file passes through this transition automatically the user initials would be written on the 'Checked By' field.

Thanks,

R.Vignesh