10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2015 11:48 AM by JP Amezaga

Hide or Suppress?

JP Amezaga

Hello,

I'm working with different configurations of assemblies to detail different information.

Is it better to Hide or Suppress parts?

Pros/Cons?

• Re: Hide or Suppress?
          Glenn Schroeder

If it's to show selected components in your drawing views I'd recommend using Display States to hide instead of suppressing with configurations.  Suppressing components can cause mates to also be suppressed, which can result in other parts being accidentally moved (for just one reason).  Display States won't do that.

JP Amezaga

Agreed, it took a while but I started to realize the conflicts with suppressing parts.

It seems I would want to LINK display states to configurations.  Would this be a good idea?

Pros/Cons?

I'm starting to understand the way Solidworks operates.

Glenn Schroeder

I probably wouldn't link them, but to be honest I don't use display states very often, so others may disagree.  I'm sure the question of linking them depends on the circumstances, so it's difficult to say for sure.

JP Amezaga

Understood

Different display states are good for showing different sets of parts.

But what if I wanted to EXPLODE those different display states.

I can see two scenarios?

1. Different Configurations with Exploded views and manually choosing the corresponding Display State that would apply

2. Display states linked to configurations automatically.

Is there an altogether different logic/method for creating views and exploded views for use in drawings?  My workflow is based on experience in Autodesk.  I'm still learning.

Glenn Schroeder

As  I said earlier, I don't work with display states very often, and the same is true for exploded views.  Someone else will probably need to help.

Derek Parks

JP,

Way I look at it is configurations = movement, display states = visual. If you need parts with various mate changes then configurations would need to be done. If all you are trying to show is a variation of appearance than display states would be my route. For explodes I would obviously use exploded configurations. This is just my workflow though I am sure there are many other ways.

Cheers,

Derek

JP Amezaga

Thank you Derek,

I came to that conclusion and am glad to receive affirmation.

I had not started playing with display states till today.

Since I have a few different explodes I linked the display states to the configurations.

Jamil Snead

I don't know what version of SW you are using, but SW2014 and later allow multiple exploded views for a single configuration. So you have 3 reasonable options that will all work:

1. Use configurations and suppress parts. This has the drawback that extra configurations will slow down the performance, which may not be noticeably except for complex assemblies. Also there is the drawback that Glenn mentioned that when you suppress parts mates can also get suppressed, and then parts might accidentally get moved around.

2. Use configurations and display states to hide parts (and you might as well link display states to configs). This has the drawback of slower performance.

3. Use display states within the same configuration. This has the drawback that even though you can make multiple exploded views, one for each display state, as far as I know there is no way to link the display states to the different exploded views. So it can be kind of a pain to manage teh different display states for the different exploded views on a drawing. A smart naming convention will help this (i.e. make the corresponding display states and configs use the same name).

I don't think there is a "right" answer although I would personally avoid number 1.

JP Amezaga

Thank you,

I hadn't even thought about multiple exploded views for one configuration.

In this particular case it may be best to go with multiple configs with linked display states.

But, I can foresee scenarios where a single config and multiple exploded views would be best.

I've been suppressing components for different configurations, not realizing the consequences till now.

Slower performance was also something I knew nothing about.

I really appreciate all the advice!