4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 4:23 PM by Frank Phelps

Same Drawing Different Models

Frank Phelps

My company is in the process of getting some of our products tested at a 3rd party company.  We are going to have the same part model used on different drawings with different names.   Since I already have one drawing completed for part name "A".  Can I save out the new part names and replace the references inside the assemblies as I normally would, THEN take the drawings from name "A" save a copy of them and reference the new "part names".  I tried right clicking on the drawing view in the drawing tree and "replacing models" this did work however it made all of my dimensions "yellow".  This is not what I want since I would still have to go back and replace all of the dimensions manually.  So my question is, is there a way to do this and have it auto populate the dimensions?  I hope this makes sense.  Thanks in advance for the help.

• Re: Same Drawing Different Models
          Frank Phelps

The reason I am changing the names on the parts and the drawings to coincide with each other is simply so when I create a "pack and go" they are all calling out the same names as to not confuse anyone.  THanks.

Jesse Robbers

If you have 3D sldprt named "A" and a slddrw named "A" which references sldprt "A" then start from this. Save the sldprt "A" as a copy, or copy/paste it in windows explorer and name it "B". Copy/paste the slddrw "A" in windows explorer and rename it "B". Do not double click on this new "B" drawing yet to open it, there is a process and some extra steps to take to get the "B" drawing to reference the "B" part file properly.

Click the open command from within solidworks, navigate to the location of this "B" drawing file, click on the "B" drawing file name once so that it propagates to the file name title bar at the bottom of the open window. In the bottom right corner of this open window there is a "references" grey colored button. Click on this references button and a new window will pop up named "edit referenced file locations". In the name column, quickly double click on the "A" file name. Yet another window pops up which is OK. In this new window, navigate to and choose the "B" 3D sldprt file, then click open or yes to this window. Then click OK or open to the remaining windows until the "B" drawing opens up. It will, or should, prompt another window asking about dimensions or references, just click yes or OK to that and it's good practice to click save once completing these steps so that you don't need to do it again if something crashes.

Now you have a "B" drawing that references the "B" part file, and an "A" drawing that references the "A" part. There should not be any errors or dimensions to correct on the drawing as there was no design change during this process. Now you are free to change the part design as needed or information on the drawing as needed.

Glenn Schroeder

Since you're going to be doing a pack and go anyway, do it first.  Open the drawing of Part A and go to File > Pack and Go.  Re-name the files as part of the process by double-clicking on each file name in the "Save to Name" column.  Save to the desired location and repeat as needed.

Frank Phelps

Thanks for the reply everyone.  Glenn -  I wish I would have read your post before I did it my way.  I finally got it to work from just going to save as copy /  / then advanced (references) and changing the names their.  For some reason I tried this same method earlier and it did not work.  I guess I didnt have my toes pointed the right way.  Thanks everyone