5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2015 2:10 PM by Matthew Menard

EPDM and CAMWorks files

Aaron Torberg

We are using the "get latest version" option in EPDM and want a process where when a part reaches the "released" state it is locked from all editing.  We use CAMWorks for our tool paths and want to know how to accomplish this?  If we let the machine shop version the files in a workflow they cause the drawings to open using the latest model (out of date) and batch printing/viewing becomes somewhat tricky (always having to get the referenced version first).  We tried a derived part but CAMWorks seems to loose a bit of thread data along the way and tapped holes become un-recognizable by the automatic feature recognition tool.  I suggested an assembly containing the part to be machined, and our machine shop claimed there was an added layer of complexity by machining from an assembly file vs. the part file (I'm not driving the CAM software so I have to accept what they are telling me).  We want the data to be parametric so saving a copy of the files is unacceptable.  What is the best practice for this operation?

• Re: EPDM and CAMWorks files
          Jason Spansel

You can lock users from being able to "check out" files in that specific state.  So once the files (does not matter what kind) reach that state, those are the latest files and no one can check them out to change them. 

Sorry if I misunderstood your question..

Why would the machine shop need to version files after release?

Aaron Torberg

The machine shop is using CAMworks within SolidWorks.  They are opening the native .SLDPRT files and generating G-Code within the SolidWorks files.  We often re-use the CAM data so storing the info requires writing that information to the SolidWorks file (new version).  They are not making any changes to the geometry, just adding to it.  To keep the CAM Data parametric to the part file there needs to be some sort of parametric link either a derived part or an assembly containing the part to be machined so that when the part is rev'ed and a geometry change is made the CAM data updates with the new changes, and does not need to be re-programmed.  The file containing the tool path info is the native SolidWorks file.

Matthew Menard

I'm very interested in this as well, as my company is using CAMWorks and our engineering department is fighting to get EPDM in the budget for this year.  My purely theoretical approach to this problem was going to be to import the final model into a new part.  You would then be able to generate your tool paths in the new part based on the imported final part and then save it separately.  The machine shop would then be able to tweak and save tool paths in the new part with out having to bump the rev of the original.  If the original is updated, the changes should flow down into the part you import it in to.  The tool paths may need to be regenerated, but probably just as much as it would if you were working exclusively in the original.  I would be very interested to know if this approach would play nice with how EPDM works.

Let me know if this makes no sense.  I'm currently loaded up on cold medicine and am just starting to scratch the surface on the CAM end of things, so I may be talking out of my league.  I can post an example I worked out in HSM Xpress if you're interested (we only have one seat of CAMWorks, and it's not on my computer).