1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 17, 2015 6:46 PM by Jamil Snead

Need some help trying to create a chestnut handle.

David Lay II

Hi all. I'm a intermediate Solidworks user, and I have run into an issue at work. I need to create a model of a simple chestnut handle but my skills are not quite cutting it. I was asked to make it as a Sheet Metal part so I am trying to use a forming tool. However, my skills with forming tools are sub-par, and watching informational videos hasn't helped me a great deal with understanding the concepts.

My question is: Can anyone help steer me in the right direction on how to take this generic chestnut handle I found online and create a forming tool (that will work)? I have tried using a forming tool I thought would work but I keep getting the great ole "minimum part thickness radius" error.

Also, if anyone has a better suggestion to how to model this part please feel free to elaborate because I am very open to suggestions.

Thank you for anyone that is willing to give up their time to help me better understand forming tools; it is GREATLY appreciated!

• Re: Need some help trying to create a chestnut handle.
          Jamil Snead

I am unable to open your forming tool part, it tells me "future version". But I was able to open your handle part. I am on SW2104. If you approached the forming tool the same way I tried at first then you ended up with a body that look something like this:

handleform.PNG

The problem here is that the model had a couple small radii that are problematic when turning into a form tool. The radius of any concave fillets needs to be at least the sheet metal thickness. So I think these are the problem spots:

handleform2.PNG

I'll try to make an example that does work.